Part IV: The Attic

Rain.

Oh, how Magnus loved the rain. Sometimes when it rained, he'd feel a stronger motivation to experience the great outdoors instead of sunnier, more conventional 'happy' days. He wouldn't need an umbrella, all he needed was his fleece jacket, khakis and his signature white blutcher shoes and tap-dance in the rain letting the drizzle run through his curly chocolate-brown hair. A strange habit, but one he welcomed with open arms. When he had a hard time sleeping, or was stressed about the past, or even the future, he'd look out into the distance, on a day quite like this, and take a breath; allowing all his fears and worries to drift away, quite like the rain he showed such admiration for. Rain was therapeutic, Magnus loved therapeutic. It was the first day of the winter break, and Magnus was going to enjoy every second of it. He'd be off to a good start, as he heard the pitter of a cloudburst. Winter luck. Lucia had called him to do more digging onto the mysterious gifts and their peculiar attributes, the source of them came from quite the poetic person in contrast to the supplier of the package, who was an anonymous wight who'd placed it in Lucia's palm before vanishing into the night; like most shady individuals who involve themselves in such tenebrous activities. Once again, like on most rainy days, Magnus put on his fleece jacket, khakis and shoes. Setting out towards Lucia's house, with the intention of helping her with her endeavours.

"Wait right there, young man," A deep voice from behind him said, he turned to see his father standing before him, with an austere face. Magnus frowned; he knew what was coming.

"Don't forget this," His father said, his stern face shifting into a lighter, friendlier twinkle, handing him an umbrella. How unfortunate.

"Oh! I almost forgot, thank you!" He said, taking the umbrella with a fake smile, deep inside, he was vexed. So close yet so far... His father winked at him before returning to his bedroom, Magnus looked on grumpily. As he stepped out, he noticed how strident the storm was, hearing every single raindrop clattering against the porch, he looked up, to see the clouds, an onyx grey. So dark in fact, one would rightfully assume it was a later hour. He allowed the rain to caress his face, embracing its force, taking a deep breath, he opened his umbrella and began his journey to the bus station.

He noticed that parts of the roads were submerged in ankle deep water rippling against the careful touch of the accompanying wind, in the puddles, he could see his reflection, smiling at himself with his joyous complexion; his hazel eyes glowing a vibrant rose in the lights of ongoing cars. As he sat down on the bench at the stop, he glanced across the rainy streets he had walked down, the precipitation had fogged up the air, creating a haze around the stop, reducing his surroundings to mere silhouettes. He smiled at the scene, it was pure and natural, and a true demonstration of the atmosphere the earth could craft. From deep within the fog, a yellow glow started to expand from headlights in the distance. The bus had arrived.
                                          ...

The ride was soothing to Magnus, he sat down listening to music on his headphones and laid his head on the window, feeling the pattering of the rain on the other side as they raced down the window. The bus was empty, as it was the start of winter break, nobody had many reasons to take it anymore. He had the place to himself. Getting off, he noticed that the powerful storm had reduced into a more pacific drizzle, he slotted the hook of his umbrella into his pocket and continued his journey, dancing and whistling to the clicks of the few drops that hit the pavement. The sun began to surface over the various tall budlings, spotting the floor below him with different shades of yellow, some shining on the few-remaining puddles, caused them to glow polychromatic. Magnus watched in awe as they shun charmingly. He arrived at Lucia's place and knocked on the door, waiting enthusiastically. The door was opened by her mother, she looked weary, but her face lit up at the sight of him.