⁛≻Chapter 5≺⁛

◸Chapter 5: The thoughts◿

Mei was in the prince's chamber pressing a warm cloth on his forehead as he stared at the ceiling in pure silence

Mei was in the prince's chamber pressing a warm cloth on his forehead as he stared at the ceiling in pure silence. His nose and cheeks were dusted with a crimson colour due to his obvious illness.

YangYang: I feel better now. You can retire.

Mei: My duty is to take care of you until it resides. I'm sorry, my prince, but you still are very much sick. The doctor is out of town so he shall take a while. Till then let my try to ease the pain.

He remained silent and kept his eyes casted to the roof of the room. 

Mei was sensing that the prince was not very fond of her and she felt the need to address it. But it was still the prince and he was not answerable to her the way she was to him. 

YangYang: When did you join the castle?

Shocked with his question, Mei faltered a bit causing him to glance over.

Mei: The first day you saw me was the day I arrived at Scorta. I started the next day.

YangYang: Hm... are you a spy?

Even more shocked this time, Mei felt her eyes widen, confused with the accusing tone.

Mei: Pardon me, your royal highness?

YangYang: You're dire need to impress my mother has me questioning it. And especially you show right before the royal ball as if he set you up to it...

He? Who is this he?

Mei was too shocked to answer. She had no idea why she was being accused with no basis.

YangYang: And then your kindness to the madman. As if you already knew him. Tell me... did he set you up?

She was still silent, trying to digest the moment in complete consciousness.

YangYang: You can tell me and I can reduce your punishment for helping the madman. Just be honest.

She was silent for a minute. Mei took a deep breath and let go off the cloth, letting it rest against the royal's forehead.

Mei: With all due respect, my prince, I was in no way associated to Sir Xiaojun before I worked here. I was in the South of the Kingdom, training to be an efficient maid. I wouldn't do anything to go against the kingdom's morals.

The prince's eyes darted away from hers, losing all the accusation almost immediately.

Mei: But if you still feel uncomfortable, I can wake another maid to assist you.

YangYang: That will not be necessary. The doctor should be here soon. Its been a couple of moon shifts.

---

YangYang watched the maid of waiting as she continued to take care of him, assisting him in every way, without any signs of tire. Even after the entire stunt of him accusing her, she had not changed a bit. 

He had to admit. It was embarrassing to hold such a huge claim against her with no solid proof. But he was curious ever since she had started working here.

In another moon shift the doctor was here and since the first sun shift had also begun, his mother was alerted of his illness. In a matter of minutes she was down in YangYang's chamber with a robe tied around her nightgown.

Doctor: Its just the flu. He should be fine with a few medicines. 

The Queen sat next to YangYang and ran a hand through his hair before looking at his guard.

Queen Liu: Why wasn't I informed before?

Lord Chang: I... I'm sorry your highness-

The prince let out a sigh and held onto his mother's hand.

YangYang: I told him to keep it to himself and to just get a maid to assist me.

Queen Liu looked around the room before zeroing in on Mei who was standing in the corner with her hands clasped in front of her. She gave the Queen a bow out of respect.

The elder woman turned back to YangYang who coughed a little and his face scrunched up as if he was in pain. Which he was because his throat was parched as hell. Despite gulping down water often, the scratchy feeling never left his throat.

Queen Liu: His coronation is in six daylights and five moonlights. Will he be okay by then?

Doctor: He should be okay in three. Just make sure to get good rest, your royal highness. And these medicines should help. 

He placed two bottles next to the prince and looked at Mei.

Doctor: He needs to have them right before every meal. Their pretty weak so no side effects will be there. And its just a mild flu, my queen. He should be okay soon.

She nodded and the doctor was seen out by a guard. Queen Liu ran a hand through YangYang's hair again and stood up. 

Queen Liu: You heard the doctor, son. Rest is all you shall do for three days. 

YangYang: Yes mother.

She nodded again and faced another guard.

Queen Liu: Fetch Lady Lin for me and ask her for another maid.

Mei looked up, a bit surprised.  Nevertheless, the guard left and now it was only the two royals along with the maid in waiting.

Queen Liu: Don't take this the wrong way, Mei. But if I am not wrong, you've been up all night. You need your rest and you are also taking care of our prisoner. Don't worry, I'll have Lady Lin taking care of the Prince. 

She glanced at the prince who was already looking at her, watching her reactions. Their eyes met only for a moment because she looked away quickly. Mei bowed deep and thanked the Queen before leaving the room. 

YangYang's eyes followed her, wondering if she was relieved, because no doubt he had got her uncomfortable by speaking out his intrusive thoughts.

I am updating cause i finished this huge exam :)

Also if you're wondering

1 sun shift = 1 moon shift = 1 hour
1 daylight = 1 moonlight = 24 hours