⁛≻Chapter 1≺⁛

Chapter 1: The Madman◿

The castle was quiet in the morning and Mei sat on her bed while staring at the first sunlight casted on her sheets

The castle was quiet in the morning and Mei sat on her bed while staring at the first sunlight casted on her sheets. The other maids in waiting were all still sleeping. Though the awoken female just couldn't find her comfort in the bed.

Maybe it wasn't the bed's fault and maybe it was because Mei was not used to the Eastern palace, which seemed more plausible. Nevertheless she knew better than to complain very well knowing that much more stressful moments would be ahead of her since it was only going to be her first day.

The door suddenly opened and Mei sat up making eye contact with the lady in waiting who looked surprised to see Mei awake.

Lady Lin: You're awake. How was your night?

Mei: Delightful, Lady Lin.

The elder showed her a smile before hitting a small metal plate on the wall, causing the maids in waiting to stir in their sleep and quickly awaken.

Lady Lin: Another day, another job. Wake up girls!

It was like watching a factory sequence. Everyone set their beds and Mei tried her best to follow their quick paces. She was known to be quick but adjusting to a whole new place with new sets of rules and procedures was not something that she would term as easy. So she was beyond grateful when the lady helped her.

Lady Lin: Meet me before lights out tonight. I can give you a sleeping remedy.

Mei's eyes widened but the elder only let out a soft chuckle.

Lady Lin: No one has a delightful sleep and wakes up before sunrise, darling.

---

Mei's hands were clasped respectfully in front of her with her eyes casted on the ground. Two of the three royals were seated at the large table as the silently ate while listening to the advisor, Sir Kun.

Kun: The entire kingdom is in haste for the ball, your highness. The masks will be handed out to each household today and the final count shall be presented to you much before sundown.

Queen Liu: And what about the castle?

Kun: It is going as scheduled, your highness.

Queen Liu: Alright, do send Lord Hendery in would you?

Sir Kun gave her a low bow before exiting through the big doors and a minute or two later another man in his armour stepped in. He rested one knee on the ground and bowed his head in respect.

Queen Liu: Lord Hendery, what is the update on our prisoner?

Mei's hands tensed at the words.

Hendery: Starving as of now, your highness.

The Queen froze and looked at the head guard.

Queen Liu: Starving? Why is he starving?

Lord Hendery glanced at the maids and the lady in waiting looked away. The Queen glanced their way as well and seemingly understanding.