⁛≻Chapter 3≺⁛

Chapter 3: The Warmth◿

Mei head down to the prison area with Hendery tailing right behind her

Mei head down to the prison area with Hendery tailing right behind her. Unlike the previous day the male was strangely quiet. He only ever uttered a word when they reached the landing of the last floor.

Hendery: I apologize for the previous day, Lady Mei.

She turned to him, definitely not expecting an apology of all things.

Hendery: I have made sense of the situation and realized that I was wrong to take my anger out on you. Do forgive me.

Mei: It is alright, my lord. You were not wrong to want the best for your queen and her castle. But if you don't mind me asking... what has the madman done to earn the title?

The soldier faltered a bit and tilted his head.

Hendery: I would rather have you ask Lady Lin or your fellow maids. I'm in no place to tell you. Come now. The madman must really need that shave.

The two head to the last cell where Xiaojun was lying asleep.

Hendery: Do you need me to enter with you?

The prisoner stirred and started to sit up.

Mei: Its alright, Lord Hendery. I can do it myself. You don't need to stand watch.

Hendery: As discussed, this is the Queen's order. I must.

He unlocked the cell and gave a stern look to Xiaojun before motioning Mei to enter the cell. Her hands clutched the tray as she entered and put the tray down on the table.

Without wasting a second Xiaojun grabbed the blade making Mei freeze and Hendery's hand reached for his sword.

Xiaojun: You got me what I wanted. I must convey my regards to you, Lady Mei.

She gave him a small smile before dragging the stool next to him, gently taking the blade from him without any resistance.

Hendery relaxed in his place but his hand still hovered over the hilt of his sword.

Mei: I shall shave your beard for you, Sir Xiaojun. Allow me.

---

Xiaojun kept his eyes on the female as she slowly wet his hair with cool water and gave him a gentle shave. The way she was being so tender had him wonder as to why she had even agreed to be in his presence.

Mei: Please just raise your right hand if I hurt you. If you manage to speak I might hurt you more.

And she is concerned about him as well. She really was something else. Either she possessed a good and kind heart or she had other intentions with this.

Sure he didn't know her too well to be a judge of her character. So he chose to just settle his thoughts by assuming it was just by her kind heart.

A throat cleared and he glanced up to see the guard give him a stern look.