0011

11
_____________________________________________

It was finally the last day of being here in Jacksonville and my feelings were conflicted to say the least.

A part of me was happy because the city was something that I enjoyed while another part of me would miss my family.

It's not like they can't visit Havana

Which was very true but it was different staying back under the roof of my Dad. While some parts of him were controlling and overbearing, one thing I would always miss is his blunt honesty.

He always stated how he genuinely felt. That realness is what kept me grounded throughout my childhood.

"Jack what did I tell you about hogging up my shit?"

"Nicholas didn't want to say it but I will, keep gobbling all that shit down, you're about two liters away from a fucking beer belly."

Now that I think about it. In some ways it was a blessing and a curse.

"Fuck off Charlie you know what your resolution should be? Is to stop lying and shave those extensions that you hide as your hair." He slurred heavily intoxicated.

Dad wasted no time walking over to him and I saw the fear that crossed Jack's face. Thankfully Harper stepped in between them saving him.

"It's New Year's Eve and we are hosting a party." Harper whispered to them.

"You both can cut up later but right now get your shit together." She said sternly with her mom voice, walking away with a fake smile greeting more guest.

I chuckled to myself having front row seats over here by the bar with a glass of champagne in my hand.

I hadn't heard back from Marcus all day. He had only sent a text to tell me that he had made it back to New York and that was it.

I had expected it to bother me but it hadn't to my surprise. Maybe he was just too busy with work since he said that he had a big case coming up.

It was currently nightfall and I was already on my third glass but I was not drunk only slightly buzzed.

At least I thought, because when I called myself hopping off the bar stool I almost fell splashing my drink onto someone's shirt trying to steady myself.

"Oh my goodness I'm so sorry." I said holding myself up by the counter as I turned around.

"Déjà vu isn't it angel?" A familiar deep voice says grasping my waist to hold me up steadily.

I look up to see that it's Dexter and my body instantly betrays me, as the hairs stand up along my spine at his touch on my bare back.

"You could say that." I said quickly gathering my thoughts. He was right about our situation being similar to the first time that we met.

The only difference was that at that particular time he was a stranger.

"You can let go of me now." I spoke. I didn't even realize how close that we were together until now.