❝ baby, its cold outside ❞

- ponyboys perspective -

"okay! let's see what pair of people are singing first!" soda held the club's microphone in one hand, and dug into the makeshift bowl of names with his other.

"ponyboy and..." he pulled out another slip of
paper.

"johnny!" he yelled out like a sports announcer.

we both shook our heads at his enthusiasm and walked up to the stage, waiting to see our song.

"okay now let's see what song..." he dug his hand into the second bowl, pulling out the paper that held the answer to our question.

"baby, it's cold outside!" he threw both of the papers he had pulled onto the ground and handed us his microphone, and then another.

i didnt regret the shots i had taken by the bar, now.

johnny stood across from me with a huge smirk planted on his face as he held the microphone, waiting.

the music began to play, and then the first line started, and unsurprisingly, we both knew who was going to sing what part.

"i really can't stay..." he began.

"baby, it's cold outside."

"i've got to go away."
"baby, it's cold outside!"

"this evening has been..."
"been hoping that you'd drop in."

"so very nice."
"i'll hold your hands, they're just like ice!" i grabbed his hand and pretended to warm it up, with my available hand.

"my mother will start to worry." he rolled his eyes along with the line and I pulled my hand away from his. "beautiful, what's the hurry?"

"my father will be pacing the floor."
"listen to the fireplace roar." i put my hand to my ear and acted as if I could hear the fire crackle.

"so really I'd better scurry."
"beautiful please don't hurry."

he gave a considering look, "but maybe just a half a drink more."
"put some records on while I pour."

"the neighbors might think." he looked up as if he was lost in thought.

"baby, it's bad out there." I exaggerated.

"say, what's in this drink?" He made a glass shape with his free hand and held it up, looking at it. "no cab's to be had out there."

"i wish i knew how."
"your eyes are like starlight now."

"to break this spell."
"i'll take your hat, your hair looks swell."

"i ought to say no, no, no, sir."
"mind if I move closer?" I inched closer to him.

"atleast I'm going to say that I tried."
"what's the sense in hurting my pride?" i put a hand up to my chest, acting as if I was distraught.

"i really can't stay."
"get over that cold out."

"baby it's cold, baby it's cold outside!" we sang together.

it was shocking, the amount of applauses and cheers to be heard.

as we left the stage a chill air brushed over the two of us, like the air had been cranked up.

"baby, it sure is cold in here." i held onto his hand, for warmth.

he smiled, rubbing his thumb on my hand, understanding my true remark.