PROLOGUE

“I’ve done the final checks in economy, everything is in order.” Laura reported as she took her place next to Sarael. She nodded to acknowledge her report. 

“Great, thanks Lo. Just waiting on Emryn now, then we can clear for takeoff.” She sighed, not hiding the dismay she felt due to her presence on the flight. She did not want to be there, neither was she supposed to be there – but her empathy got the best of her, and she agreed to swap work shifts with a work colleague that she slightly got along with. 

“Felt. I sooo don’t want to be working during the holidays, but this is the life I signed up for. I’m booked for Christmas too. Can you imagine? I’m not spending Christmas with my baby girl.” Laura sighed, looking at herself in the mirror. She swiped the strand of blonde her back from her face, before putting her A-Game face on. 

“Why didn’t you apply for PTO?” 

“I mean you did, and you’re still here ma’am. No shade. I used up my days when my baby was sick. It’s all good though, I have all of New Years with her.” She smiled, and Sarael returned a small, yet tired one back to her. 

“I’m just mad I have to stay in Malaysia for three whole days before flying back. But it is what it is. Praying they don’t call you for New Years, because I don’t plan to be there.” She pouted, clicking her fingers to the side. 

“Sarael, there’s a bit of a situation in business class. I’ve tried to de-escalate it, but it’s not working. Help.” Emryn said, widening her eyes. 

“What’s the issue?” She questioned, taking a step toward the curtains. 

“Chile, they are fighting over seats. And that basketball player Christian is in it too.” Emryn sighed. 

Sarael stepped into the business class cabin, heading toward the ruckus between the two brown skinned men, one a smooth caramel tone, and another a medium deep chestnut tone on him. 

“Excuse me, gentlemen. You are the reason this flight has not been cleared for takeoff yet. What seems to be the problem?” Sarael questioned, not bothering to plaster on the friendly smile that they are always programmed to put on. 

“Homie thinks just because he's some sort of celebrity, he can just take my seat. I'm not having that. In here, we're just two men —ain't no fame, and I won't be disrespected.” The chestnut man complained, his face scowled as he relayed his thoughts. 

“If this is his seat, then what seems to be the issue sir?” She turned her attention to Christian, raising her head to meet his face that was adorned by a pair of black sunglasses — thus failing to meet his eyes. 

“I don't know, you tell me shawty.” He shrugged. “I booked the first class online, selected a right window seat. Checked in online, only to be told at the check in counter that y'all don't do first class anymore, so I'm being put in business. I'm paying real money to be given shitty services. Trust me to never use this airline again. Got me fighting over a seat.” 

“May I please see your boarding passes please, the both of you?” She requested, trying to contain the attitude she so wanted to spill out of her. 

Both men took out their boarding passes, and she took a look at them. In first class, he was in the right seat, but he'd been moved to business class — and his seat number was not changed. Making it the airline’s mistake. 

“My apologies for this mistake. The attendant should have changed your seat number when you were moved from the first class to business. However, this seat rightfully belongs to the other party — so, could I ask you to take another open seat sir. I assure you, we're all going to the same destination.”