"What about me?"

She giggles, "Do you like this class?"

I nod, without hesitation. "Oh, I love it. Everything about music is beautiful to me."

And that is not a lie.
I was five, I think, the first time my grandma got me a pair of headphones so I could listen to music- I fell in love with it immediately. She probably gave it to me so I could ignore my mother, but she doesn't know that she changed my life with that present. Music is the best way to escape reality. I love to get lost in it. The melody, the lyrics, the production, everything about a song makes my heart flutter. I knew what I wanted to study when I was ten, dreaming about leaving that haunted house and travel somewhere with music- I knew that was probably impossible but I applied to a lot of colleges, looking for a scholarship and I started working when I was fifteen, saving money to someday get out of my mom's shadow and that's how I ended up here. At UBC, my dream school and most magical place on earth- making a career out of my dreams. I got a scholarship, of course and let me tell you, it does not cover the costs completely- but hey! at least, I'm here and not there.

The girl twists toward me, extending a hand. "I'm Josie. Josephine Preston, but everyone calls me Josie."

"Willow." I accept her hand, shaking it softly. "Willow James."

She lets go of my hand and nods. "Willow. That's a pretty name."

I can only smile at her because the door cracks open and a man strides into the room with loud steps until he gets behind the front desk, placing a laptop in it and a bag on the floor. He takes his time as the room falls into silence, watching closely what he does.
The professor-Josie's dad- scans the room until his green eyes land on the girl next to me, he nods in acknowledgement and then his gaze shifts for a small second to me. I could've imagined but I swear I can see a flicker of recognition in his eyes- probably because of Josie, but either way. Weird.
"Professor Jack Preston." the man says loud enough for the entire room and that's how the first day of my second year here starts.

Two hours and a half later, the professor lets us go and I sigh in relief. Don't get me wrong, I love my classes but man they're intense, and this one was just the beginning. I pull out my phone before I even get out of my desk. Josie also stays while everyone leaves.

I always have my phone on Do Not Disturb mode and I unlock it to see if I have new messages, which I do. Six messages from Maya, four from my mom- which I won't be answering, so I open just Maya's.

maya evans: im going CRAZY
maya evans: i have hockey royalty in my class ???
maya evans: im gonna pass out is that normal? i don't think it is.
maya evans: omg omg omg omg
maya evans: ive never seen one of them here
maya evans: n now im sharing a class with one???? im about to faint

I chuckle, shaking my head as Josie clears her throat next to me forcing me to look up at her. "So, uh... Are you having lunch? I- I don't know a lot of people here so..."

"Oh. I'm meeting my friend, Maya, at the diner. Wanna join us?" I tilt my head, she looks nice. Couldn't hurt to have another friend, right?

Maya would think I'm crazy. I'm definitely not a people person. If I can avoid people, I'd do it- Maya forced herself into my life the day we became roommates, but she's okay. She's been my best friend since last year and Josie... Well, she seems nice.