1

I wake up in my Hogwarts dorm room because there's a loud thud noise outside my door. Another one comes a moment later, this time hitting the door directly. I rub the sleep from my eyes and sit up, listening for any more noises. I can hear quite a bit of yelling outside in the hallway. I groan and get up. As my bare feet touch the floor, there's another loud thud followed by the sound of several footsteps running down the corridor. I slide on my slippers that are kept next to the foot of my bed and go open my door. When I do, I find a kid that's about a year below me sitting defeated, leaning against the door across from mine. His platinum blonde hair is a disshevelled nest on top of his head, he has multiple minor cuts and bruises everywhere where skin is visible, his uniform robes are torn and basically just scraps now and his wand lays snapped into multiple pieces on the floor beside him. He wipes tears from his face, his hands shaking in a mix of fear and anger. I lean against my doorframe and just watch him for a minute.

"W-what do you want?"he snaps though his voice is shaky and broken when he does.
"I heard some noise and just wanted to know what it was. Seems I came at the right time."
"Nothing happened."
"I really doubt that. Come on, I'll help you get cleaned up. You can use my spare robes."
"Why would you help me?"
"Because clearly someone should. I would take the help if I were you before it happens again that you're at someone else's door all beat up and broken."
"I couldn't stop them."
"Believe me, I know."

I walk over and help him up, leaning down and collecting the pieces of his wand off the floor once he's standing. We walk into my dorm room.

"Who are you anyway?"he asks as he sits on the lid of my toilet and I grab the med kit from my mirror cabinet.
"Y/N Y/L/N. And you are?"
"Draco Malfoy."his green eyes seem to sparkle a little as he introduces himself.
"And what year are you?"
"6th."
"Ah. I'm in 7th."
"You look like you should be in fourth."
"I get that a lot."

I gently wipe the blood off his face and knuckles with a damp washcloth before bandaging each one. He winces a little as I do.

"Why were you down here anyway?"I ask, putting the med kit away.
"I was chased down here."
"By who?"
"Just some 7th year slytherins who found out who I was."
"I take it you're someone well known?"
"My family's well known. I'm not. I'm just the one that everyone wants to put all their hopes on because I'm the only Malfoy child."
"Oh so you're one of those 'pureblood or die' families, huh?"
"I'm not. Not anymore."
"That's kind of refreshing. What made you change your mind?"
"I saw how half-bloods were treated. My dad treats me like that so I know what it's like. I'd never be willing to do that."
"Did you end up taking the mark?"
"Didn't fully have a choice."
"It's always a choice."
"Not when your father threatened you your whole life that he'd kill you if you didn't take it."
"Oh. I know that story all too well. That's what happened to me."
"It is? Who are your parents?"
"I don't know my actual parents. They died before I was old enough to keep memories."
"Then who was threatening you?"
"I was sent to an all pureblood orphanage. Never adopted. So when I was sorted into Slytherin, the owner gathered those of us who had been and told us that if we didn't take the mark, we'd be abandoned. I care about the other kids there so I took the mark just to make the bastard shut up. But they say that the Potter kid is supposed to end the need for death eaters."
"He's not all he's cracked up to be. The Granger girl is so much stronger."
"Ooh. Does someone have a crush on the prodigy?"
"I'm gay."
I laugh. "I would have never guessed that."
"Most don't. I try to keep it to myself for fear of being disowned."
"Your parents sound like dicks. So I don't think you should worry too much about what would happen if you were disowned. It's actually easier in this world if you're not connected to people like that."
"I have an inheritance."
"Well, they would have nowhere else to send it."
"They'd find somewhere."
"Then just wait until you're eighteen. We're in a wizarding world. Once you're a legal adult, they can't take you out of their will anymore."
"How do you know?"
"I've been taught every loophole in the book."