Chapter Thirteen: Mutiny and Overthrow

Start from the beginning

"It's true." Michelle said, chiming in the conversation. "Carmen just isn't as good of a captain as you are." 

I smiled. "I'm flattered." I said. "But if you guys don't like her being captain, you should say something. Otherwise, you would be coming to a team after school everyday with a captain that you can't stand." 

The others nodded as they glanced at Carmen, who was looking directly at us. "Okay, we will say something. But not now." Michelle said quietly. 

The girls nodded in agreement. 

"Okay, girls, Get in formation!" I heard Carmen screech. I quickly got to my feet and stood in my spot between Amanda and Gemini. 

"As you all know, we have the Summer Jam Fest coming up in June." She sat on top of the bleachers as she scanned us. 

"We only have three months to prepare for this competition and if we win, we get to go to nationals. I don't know about you, but I would love to go to nationals." 

We all nodded in agreement. 

"So starting from today, we will be having six hour long practices. Two hours for exercising, four hours for practicing. Which means, that you will not be going home until nine o'clock at night. Does anyone have any questions?" 

Gemini raised her hand slowly, which gained an arched eyebrow from Carmen.  "Yes?" 

"What if we have an emergency?" 

"You may leave, but keep in mind that you are only permitted less than three absences. If you miss practice three or more times, you're cut from the team indefinitely. Did that answer your question?" 

She nodded before bowing her head to hide her face. 

Another hand raised and it was from Monique. 

"Yeah, Monique?" 

"No offense, Carmen. But I do not think that that is fair to the team. I mean, we are all sophomores and juniors in high school and I think a six hour practice is a bit much. No one wants to stay that long." 

I stepped forward and cleared my throat so that I would have everyone's attention. 

"To be honest, Carmen. I have to agree with Monique. Not only is that unfair to the team, but that is extreme exercise that it is unnecessary. I don't think a captain would want their whole team to suffer for the sake of a competition." 

If looks could kill, I would be a dead girl right now. Carmen's eyes glared at me with a face that almost did not look like her. Her brows furrowed together as she said in a low voice, "Are you saying that you are a better captain than me?" 

I was about to reply when a girl from across the room yelled, "SHE IS!" 

Carmen looked towards her and was about to speak when another girl chimed in. 

"She's more of a captain than you will ever be!" 

The girls nodded in agreement and clapped as Carmen scanned the crowd. She blew her whistle, making the whole room go silent. 

"What exactly does April do better than me?" Carmen asked the girls, but looked directly towards me. "Just shout it out." 

"She keeps practices two hours long, at most!" 

"She lets us have breaks when we have gone past our limit!" 

"She brings snacks for us after practice!" 

"She doesn't yell at the top of her lungs and make us go over the routine a thousand times!" 

"She lets us rest when we are injured!"