Since The Beginning

Imogen&Anthony

Five years old:

"Mommy, look, people are moving into the house next to ours!" I squealed in excitement.

"I see honey. Hopefully, they have a child that you can play with."

"I hope so too," I said with so much excitement,

At five years old, Imogen was having difficulty making friends. She was darker than the kids in her class, and her hair was always big. It grabbed her peers' attention, making her stand out. The other kids always point at her and make her uncomfortable during recess. So, school was hard for her.

Imogen sees a little boy exiting the car and jumping up excitedly.

"Mommy, mommy, look, they have a kid, they have a kid!". She yells to her mom.

" Do you think he'll be my friend? Do you think he'll like me? I think he'll like me. I'm pretty cool."

"Do you want to go say hi?"

Imogen nods eagerly. She bolts out the door as soon as her mother opens it, ignoring her mother's pleas to be careful as she runs across the grass to greet her new neighbors. As she approached the little boy, she tapped him on the shoulder. At first, he pays no mind to the tiny fingers touching him. But then he hears the small voice of an eager Imogen.

" Hi, my name is Imogen, and do you want to be friends?" she asks, but the little boy stares at her, not saying a word.

" It's okay; you don't have to talk if you don't want to. Or if you're shy, I'll do all the talking for you."

Imogen's Mom soon approaches the family and introduces herself.

"Hello, I'm Kenta, and this is my daughter Imogen. We live in the house next door and just wanted to greet our new neighbors. And maybe even our children can be friends with one another."

"Thank you so much! I'm Anaise, and this is my husband, Sean. And this little guy is our son Anthony. Anthony, say hi."

He gives them a short wave. While, Imogen waves back with a massive smile, showing her missing teeth. She just knew that she and Anthony were going to be great friends.

Thirteen years old:

"Gen, I don't think we should do this." Anthony voices his concerns.

" Tony, we aren't doing anything wrong; it's just a kiss. We'll still be best friends after. Nothing will change between us, and don't you want our first kiss to be with one another rather than people we barely know?"

Anthony nods his head; after all, this was his idea to begin with. He didn't think that Imogen would agree to it.

Imogen didn't know Anthony had been crushing on her for a while now. He hid his feelings pretty well, afraid they wouldn't be friends if he told her how he felt. After all, they're only 13.

"Okay, let's do it, Tony says." he leans, and Imogen leans forward.

Once their lips touch, it's like magic. A spark flows between the two, and they pull apart almost instantly.

"See, it wasn't that bad, and now we both had our first kiss," Imogen says with a smile. She doesn't notice the tiny brush on Anthony's face.

She is just happy that she's had her first kiss and that it was with her best friend.