14

"You're using this to get your revenge on my family!" Amber shouts at Xaden. "For not supporting your father's rebellion!" That's a low fucking blow. Xaden doesn't even acknowledge it as he turns to the other wingleaders. He isn't demanding proof like Dain. He believes me, and he's ready to execute a wingleader on nothing more than my word. As surely as if they're a physical structure, I feel my defenses crack on Xaden's behalf. "Can you see my memories?" I ask Glacies. "Share them?" "Yes." His head snakes left and right ever so slightly. "A memory has never been shared outside of a mating bond. It's considered a violation." "Xaden's up there fighting because I told him it was her. Help him." And gods, I admire him for it. I take a deep breath. "Only what they need to see." Glacies chuffs and every dragon besides Sgaeyl stiffens on the wall, even Amber's. The riders are quick to follow, silence filling the courtyard, and I know they know. "That spineless wretch," Lana seethes, her hand squeezing mine even tighter. Dain pales. Funny how you're standing up for him even after what happened. Khione mused. I can see Xaden stiffen, and I know he heard that comment. I wince and look down at my hand.

"The wingleaders have formed a quorum and are in unanimous agreement," Xaden announces, flanked by Nyra and Septon while the commandant hangs back. "We find you guilty, Amber Mavis." "No!" she shouts. "It is no crime to rid the quadrant of the weakest rider! I did it to protect the integrity of the wings!" She paces in panic, looking to everyone—anyone for help. As a whole, the formation moves backward. "And as is our law, your sentence will be carried out by fire," Nyra states. "No!" Amber looks to her dragon. "Claidh!" Amber's Orange Daggertail snarls at the other dragons and lifts a claw. Sgaeyl swivels her massive head toward Claidh, her roar shaking the ground beneath my feet. Then she snaps her teeth at the smaller orange, and she retreats, her head hanging as she grips the wall again. The sight breaks my heart, not for Amber but for Claidh. "Do you have to?" I ask Glacies. "This is our way." I squeeze my eyes shut, leaning into Sawyer. The only thing I hear is Amber's bloodcurdling scream and heat blazes the room. 

" This isn't necessary." I grit my teeth at Liam, who just smiles. I'm sitting at the river and Liam is sitting beside me. "So you've told me for the last week." He flashes me a grin. "And yet you're still here. Every day. All day." I sigh. I hate that he's nice. I hate that I could actually be friends with him. " So, I haven't seen you near Xaden for a while." His voice is laced with curiosity. I wince, and he immediately backs off. " I'm sorry-" " No, it's ok." I brush it off, hesitating. " We kissed." I offered, and Liam looks shocked. " He rejected me. Said it was a mistake." I looked at the ground. " Oh shit." He winced. I nodded, laughing a little bit. " That sucks. I really am sorry. Xaden can be like that." He says genuinely. I smile up at him, grateful. " Can I- uh, can I braid your hair?" I ask nervously. He raises his eyebrows. " Please?" I beg. He laughs, nodding. " Sure." He turns around, and I gather a small piece of hair. As I braided, I started singing. 

" I thought you couldn't sing.." Liam trailed off. I laughed. " I was experimenting in my room earlier, I just have to be careful and not go low." I said happily. " Xaden was right." He sighed. " About what?" I said cautiously. " You do have beautiful voice." He said softly. I sighed, and finished the braid. " Don't bother." I fell back, looking at the sky. " Don't bother with what?" Liam laid next to me. " With saying he said those things. It just hurts more." I sighed. Liam looked at me, and chuckled. " What?" I glared at him. " You're so funny." He laughed even more, and I sat up, throwing dirt in his face. " Hey!" He spat at dirt, and I squealed, bolting up and running around, Liam right on my tail. He grabbed my waist, hoisting my over his shoulder. " LIAM!" I shrieked, slapping his back. " Looks like you two are having fun." I looked over my shoulder to see Lana  and Ridoc. Liam set me down, my cheeks flushed. " Come on, we're going to be late." Lana grumbles, stalking past. I raise my eyebrows at Ridoc. " I didn't do anything!!" He defends. I just roll my eyes, and when we walk down the hallway Rhiannon joins us."I want to be like the cool kids," Rhiannon grumbles as first-years from Second and Third Wings pour out of the stairwell of the turret that leads up to Professor Carr's classroom that afternoon, further clogging the hallway on our way to Battle Brief.