6

I'm out by the river, watching the birds chirp and the river rush. The leaves rustle, and I see Imogen sit beside me. " Thank you," I say quietly. " I know you wouldn't do it for a lot of people." I offer. She gives me a curt smile. " Come on." She offers me a white rose, and I laugh, twirling it around my fingers. " You have a mean turning hook." She grins, helping me up. I wince. " Sorry about that." I apologize. " No need, all's fair in love and war." She shrugs. I roll my eyes teasingly. " There's someone I want you to meet." She calls, walking faster. Wings beat, and I look up to see a Dark Brown dragon land, narrowing its eyes at me. My jaw drops. " Close your mouth, you'll catch flies." Imogen teases. " HOLY SHIT!" I squeal, running around to look at the dragon. " They're beautiful." I gasp. " Yup,  that's Glane," Imogen says proudly. Glane snorts, looking proud. I pet hits snout, and Glane does what I at least think is a smile. " Come on, get on," Imogen calls. " Are you for real?" I gasp. " So for real." She chuckles. I squeal, jumping on. I latch onto Imogen, and we take off. We fly through the air, wind whipping at my face, blowing my hair back. " This is amazing!" I laugh happily as we ride into the on-rising sun. We land, and I hug Imogen, nearly knocking her over. " ThankyouThankyouThankyou!" I squeal. She nods, eventually hugging me back. " Of course." Her tone softens, and she wraps an arm around me. " Come on." She gestures to the hall. I put my hair up. 

We sit down at an empty table in the eating room

We sit down at an empty table in the eating room. " Challenges start today." Imogen reminds me. I groan. " Don't remind me." I whine. " You'll be fine, Rosie." Sawyer interrupts, sliding down beside me. Lana sits down on my other side, and Ridoc joins Imogen. A girl with curly brown hair sits at Imogens side, wrapping an arm around her waist. " Quinn, this is Rose. Rose, Quinn." Imogen introduces. Quinn smiles at me, reaching out to shake my hand. " Not trying to steal my girlfriend from me, are you?" She teases. " Oh god no, I-" " She already likes a certain someone-" I elbow Lana, who falls off her seat. Imogen laughs, and Sawyer helps Lana up. " Thanks." She mutters, red faced. 

__________________________________________________

"Keep the temperaments of each specific breed in mind when you decide which dragons to approach and which to run from at Threshing," Professor Kaori says, his serious, dark eyes slashing toward his nose as he studies the new recruits for a beat, then he changes the projection he's conjured from a Green Daggertail to a Red Scorpiontail. He's an illusionist, which I think is one of the coolest signets. "Red Scorpiontails, like Ghrian here, are the quickest to temper," Professor Kaori continues, his perfectly trimmed mustache curving as he smiles at the illusion like he's the dragon himself. We all take notes. "So if you offend him, you're—" "Lunch," Ridoc says from my left, and the class laughs. I laugh, and even Barlowe snorts.

"Precisely," Professor Kaori responds. "So what's the best way to approach a Red Scorpiontail?" He glances around the room. "They prefer that you approach from the left and from the front, if possible," I answered after a moment of silence. "Excellent." Professor Kaori nods. "For this Threshing, there are three Red Scorpiontails willing to bond." The image changes in front of us to a different dragon. "How many dragons are there in total?" Rhiannon asks. "A hundred for this year," Professor Kaori answers, changing the image again. "But some might change their minds during Presentation in about two months, depending on what they see." My stomach drops. Less than last year. I don't know how much exactly, but I know Violet does.