Chapter 5

Y/n's pov:

Y/n's pov:

The atmosphere onboard the Galaxy One after Avocato's death felt almost empty. Little Cato had stayed in the same spot in front of the forcefield, where his father had died, for a couple of hours before despairing into the vents of the ship. Gary tried to stop him, but it was to no use.

After that Gary went off to his room with Mooncake following behind and stayed there for the rest of the night.

I started walking around the ship trying to understand what had just happened the last 24 hours, when I walked into Quinn. I could tell she was a bit suspicious of me.

We walked to the dining hall as I told her about how I ended up working for the Lord Commander, how much I hated him, and the last week.

After that conversation she got a bit more comfortable around me, and later showed me to my room.

The next morning I woke up and took a hot shower, before walking into the dining hall to get some breakfast. There I found Gary in front of a full bowl of food, untouched, looking sad, with Mooncake hovering beside him.

I grabbed my own food bowl and walked up to him.
"Room for one more?" I asked.
He quickly looked up at me, like he hadn't noticed me walk in, before nodding slickly, leaning back in his seat.

I sat down before asking:
"You okey?"
"No. No, I'm not. He was my best friend. I mean ye, we had just known each other for about a week but... You know after being stuck here for five years alone, I just..." He started talking not being able to finish a sentence while I could see tears starting to form in his eyes.

"I understand. You don't have to explain if it's too hard" I says as he wipes away a tear.
"Ye"
"I just thought you might want some company, but I can leave if you want?"
"No, it's okey, really. Stay"
"Okey. Why don't we talk about something else?"
"Sure"

"I gotta say tho, you look really familiar. What was your name again?" I ask.
"Gary. Gary Goodspeed" he says looking up from the table.
"Goodspeed... Goodspeed" I think out loud before it finally hits me.

"OMG! Gary?" I say wide eyes looking straight at him.
"Yes?" he says, looking at me puzzled.
"It's me, Y/n, Y/n Y/l/n! We used to hang out all the time when we were younger before I went off to be an Infinity Guard"
"Oh shit! Y/n?! I knew I recognized you form somewhere"

He stands up and so do I before we meat in a tight hug. After a minute or so we sit back down and Gary tells me all about how he got arrested, his massages he made for Quinn, and admits he may have made a couple for me. It worms my heart to hear, and I make him promise to show me them later.

He continues to tell me about how annoying KVN is, how he met Mooncake, meeting Avocato and the last couple days.

I tell him about my job as an Infinity Guard, being sent into space and ending up with the Lord Commander.
How weird it is that we were both at Tara Con Prime and slipped past each other. My last week deciding to not work for the Lord Commander anymore and helping Little Cato.

Gary and I have been sitting and chatting for about half the day before Quinn comes inn and asks Gary for help with something. I leave them to it and decide to walk down and take a look at the explosion.

When I get there, I stand in front of it just looking at in it silence for about two minutes before I hear a noise, I get confused as I thought I was the only one in here. I quickly look around me as my eyes land on the vents.

I pause for a second before slowly walking up to it. As I kneel down, I hear him start to crawl away.

"Little Cato, wait" I say looking at him through the bars of the vent.
I see him sit down while I take off the bares on the vent. He looks slightly back at me but not enough to meet my eyes and has one of his ears turned completely towards me wondering what I'm doing.

"I'm not going to follow you if don't want to talk, but" I pause for a moment before continuing:
"Look I know we don't know eath other very well, but I want you to know that I'm here if you need to talk. I might not know what it's like to experience what you have gone through, but I have lost my parents too. I know that it can be tuff, and I don't want you to go through it alone"

I hear him start to tear up.
"I'm not going to push you to talk about it if you're not ready yet. How about this? Whenever you start to feel sad or want some company, just walk into my room, whenever. I'll ask for 1 or 2, 1 being you just wanting some company in silence, 2 being you wanting to talk. How does that sound?"

After a couple seconds in silence Little Cato says:
"Okey"
"Okey... I'm going to sit here for a while, your more than welcome to join with me, if you want" I say and getting up walking a couple steps towards the center of the room before sitting down facing the explosion.

I sit like that for about a half hour before I hear light steps. Seeing slightly towards the sound I see Little Cato's figure, sitting down just outside the vent.

And in that moment I make a promise to myself that I will do everything I can to protect that kid.