Twenty Two

A/N: so we haven't been getting to the update goals for months, so I'm just going to start updating weekly until all the parts are up. I don't know if I'm going to edit this anytime soon, simply because I've been writing a few other books this summer that are more my priority. Thanks for reading!

Twenty Two

I woke with a start, as a loud crash sounded from downstairs. "We know she's in here somewhere, kid. Just hand her over, and there will be no more harm to your pack. We promise." 

 "You think I'd believe that? She isn't here, so you may as well leave now. Leave my family alone," Damien's voice said. "And give me back my brother." 

 "Aw, your brother? How cute," there was a grunt, and I was sure that Damien was attempting to fight someone off. "Your 'family' is out there, probably getting slaughtered by my pack. It would all end, if you'd just hand over the girl. She can't be too much value to you, could she? I mean, you don't want her, or you'd have already claimed her as your own. She's free for our Alpha to claim." 

 "No one will be claiming her," Damien growled, and I heard the snap of wood. "Get out of my house. I've already told you she isn't here."

 "Like I would believe you," the man's voice said. I recognized that voice. It was the man who had attacked me in the alley. My blood turned cold, and I backed away from the door, heading back towards the bed. "Gunther, Uriah, find the girl." 

 "Sure thing, Samuel," another voice said. I shivered, and quickly pulled the sheets up on the bed, straightening them out and grabbing all my stuff. I threw the bag in the back of the closet, and slid my feet into my running shoes, backing into the bathroom. 

 "Her scent is on the stairs," another voice said. "Fairly fresh." 

 "That's what happens when people touch things," Damien said. "It starts to smell like them. She was here two days ago." 

 "No no, this is much fresher than two days, Damien."

 "I'm going to tell you one more time, and then I expect you to get the hell out of my house. She isn't here, and she hasn't been in a while. She's safe somewhere else."

 "Well, unless you tell us exactly where she's holed up, then she's here, and we will find her." I bit my lip, backing into the tub. I sat in the corner, and squeezed my eyes shut. The voices were closer now.

 "Oh, God," either Gunther or Uriah said. "Get a whiff of that." 

 "Smells like heaven. That her?"

 "Sure is," the other said. "Smells human, smells wolf, yet doesn't have the smell of any specific pack."

 "Except the kid we have captive back at the territory. She smells like him," the second man said. "Smells a lot like him."

 "Samuel says they're 'together'. Like, together together," said the first. 

 "But he hasn't Mated her yet?" 

 "No," there was a pause. They were at the top of the stairs. "But I've heard she's one hot mutt." I bit my lip, and wrapped my knees around my chest. "You check that bedroom, I'll check this one." If they were at the stairs, there were still five bedrooms they'd have to search before getting to Cal's. I could hear fighting downstairs, and the crash of glass breaking, and then Damien's voice. 

 "You keep your disgusting pack out of my territory!" He called, and there was the yip of a wolf. Then there was a growl, and I knew that both boys downstairs had Shifted.

 "I don't smell her in this room at all," one man said. He was closer. "Should I still check it?" 

 "Of course, idiot. There are ways to mask your scent, you know." There was silence upstairs, but downstairs the sound of fighting rang out loud. Then, there were footsteps. Right outside Calix's bedroom door. I heard the door creak open, and there was the sound of a low, guttural growl; half human, half animal. "She's got to be in here," the first man said. "God, it smells just like him. It's almost overpowering, but... but she's definitely been here. Recently. Way recently."