Fifteen

"What? What do you mean, 'take me back'?"

"I'd love to explain it, honestly, but I can't. I cannot be on the phone out here and still effectively protect you. Maybe we can meet for lunch or you can come over another day and we can talk."

"Just come inside," I said, not content with having to wait a few days to hear more of the secrets about myself.

"Your family is home," Calix chuckled.

"Yeah, and they've all been asleep since ten. It's fine."

There was a pause, and then I heard a knock in my bedroom. I walked in, cautiously, and laughed lightly as I saw Calix crouching on the windowsill outside.

I hung up the phone, and set it on the nightstand, padding lightly over to the window and quietly throwing it open.

"Welcome to my humble abode," I grinned, and stepped back to let Calix in. "Just be careful not to step too hard; Elijah's room is right below mine."

Calix nodded, and slid inside, shutting the window behind him and taking a look around. "Nice puppy," he joked, nodding toward the stuffed pink puppy on the corner of my bed.

I blushed, and quickly stepped in front of the closet, shutting the doors to block the shelf of stuffed animals set on the top.

"Anyway..." I trailed off, and Calix nodded, walking over to my desk and taking the chair, spinning it around backwards and straddling the back, folding his arms across the top.

"The pack that Changed you believed that you were their property. They had made you what you were, and they wanted you. However, when they saw that you did not ever Shift, they booted you out of the pack. They disowned you, in a way," Calix began. "But now that they know what you are, that you are the Cure, they want you back."

"Don't I have any say in this? Don't I have to agree to join the pack, like you and Damien asked me?"

"Not for them. Since they are the ones that Changed you, you are automatically a part of their pack. However, since they disowned you, you are technically a Rogue, a wolf with no pack," Calix looked out the window, over his shoulder, at the whispering trees. "We want you to be safe, and to be out of the reach of the right people."

"But I still don't understand why," I groaned, flopping onto the bed. "You keep saying you want me to be a part of West Blue, but then you don't say why it's such a big deal to keep me away from others."

"Because," Calix started. He looked back over at me, looking me in the eye and holding my gaze with his glowing golden eyes. "The person that Changed you was Alpha, and was dying, and his son needed a Mate for when he became leader. They chose you."

I waited for him to elaborate. "Aaand?" I asked.

"And to be a Mate isn't like boyfriend and girlfriend, or husband and wife. It's like being someone's slave. And now, for you to be the Cure, if he were to Mate you, the children you would have would be... superior. They would be more powerful than any other wolves, and they would take control of every pack out there."

"Mate me?"

Calix raised his eyebrows, and I shuddered, curling up into a ball on the bed. "No thank you," I whispered. "So what are we going to do?"

"We're going to track them down and we're going to always have someone stationed here, someone in the woods, and two people on the outskirts."

"You can't do that," I argued, sitting up and shaking my head. "You can't force the pack to not sleep at night, to come and watch the house when we don't know for sure that someone is even here!"