Chapter 23 // He's Definitely Not Drowning...I Hope

Age 29...

After a long day of doing chores with his husband on their day off together, Vincent is seated on the sofa, reading a book. He hasn't been able to get lost in his favorite pleasure lately simply because of his busy life—with his teaching schedule and grading projects, with trying to mend the final broken relationship in his family, and of course, with appointments and consultations to try and really make Hayden's dream come to life as they try to find the right surrogate.

But as of right now, Vincent feels at peace. His eyes carefully skim the words on the pages of his novel, extracting every little hidden meaning and careless detail he discovers in the ink. It's amazing how words on paper can be so enticing, so adventurous, but every time Vincent takes a long break from reading, he remembers exactly why he fell in love with it as a kid.

As he approaches the climax, he is interrupted by his husband calling out to him.

"Vinny!" Hayden shouts from the bathroom.

"Yes?"

"Can you help me please?!"

Vincent chuckles but places his book facedown on the coffee table before waltzing throughout their house to meet his husband's request.

Vincent follows the source of commotion and easily finds his way over to Hayden. He leans against the doorway and crosses his arms, smiling fondly as he looks at him through the mirror. The shirtless Hayden immediately grins back, walking up to give the ravenette a kiss.

"What do you need?" Vincent whispers.

Hayden spins around and reaches under the cabinet, presenting Vincent with a razor and shaving cream.

"I was wondering if you could help me shave," Hayden admits brightly.

"Why?" Vincent laughs, knowing that Hayden is more than capable of doing it on his own.

He shrugs, "I just wanted to talk to you...and be near you."

"You've had a plentiful amount of both of those things within the past twenty-four hours," Vincent teases.

"So...is that a yes or no?" Hayden smiles.

"I'm so sick of seeing your goddamn face," Vincent sighs, hating that he has the inability to say no to his husband. "Hop up."

Hayden snickers as he does what Vincent says and jumps up on the sink countertop. He tilts his head fondly as he watches Vincent come closer and begin to spray shaving cream on his hand without even having to be asked a second time.

"Thank you and I love you," Hayden says softly.

Vincent smears the cream across Hayden's face, beginning at his cheek and sliding across his jaw. He then holds Hayden's face in place as he slowly kisses up his neck. Hayden's shoulders hike up at the ticklish touch, his little giddy giggles then following. Vincent takes his time as he plants little pecks up his husband's skin, reveling in the gorgeous sound of Hayden's laugh. When he finally makes it up to the man's ear, he then says, "Love you too."

Yeah, it's no question that Hayden has softened his husband up. Hayden can't imagine him doing anything this affectionate when they first got together.

Hayden closes his eyes as he lets Vincent take control. Vincent finally resumes his course of action, making sure to coat all of Hayden's stubble in shaving cream while subtly massaging the brunette's skin.

"Vinny?" Hayden says as Vincent runs the razor under warm water before gently rubbing it across his smiley husband's face.

"Hm?"