Chapter TWENTY THREE - Time and Teapots

Začít od začátku

Fighting to swallow my emotions and tears.

But then his lips pulled back and his hooded, lustful eyes dragged over my face. His thumb ghosted my cheek and brushed over my lips, wiping away a thousand unspilt kisses.

"You need sleep." His voice like gravel.

My heart screamed for more but my body ached for less and I cursed him for being right.

I groaned and tucked my nose to his neck, his arms instinctually wrapped around my waist.

"I need more of you though too." I mumbled to his skin.

I could feel the way he smiled. 

I pulled my hips lower over his waist and he groaned.

"Careful Barlowe."

Another deep breath.

"I'm serious." He pulled my head back carefully and the passion in his eyes now wound around a heaviness all too familiar. "You- So much has happened lately. I want you-" He bit his lip. "-but I want the you that isn't fighting back tears between kisses."

My heart thudded with the gentle press of his lips to my nose.

"Besides," He grinned. "Can't let all that kissing go to your head now can we? You'll start to think you're the better kisser of the two of us."

I giggled. "How does that even make sen-"

His warm pointer finger jammed against my lips and I had to resist the urge to bite it.

"Just trust me Barlowe."

And so I let go,

despite the burning pit low in my stomach, 

despite the ache to burn a memory of his lips to mine,

despite how much I wanted to throw away reservations and dive head first...

it wasn't fair to give him my heart when I could barely hold the pieces together on my own.

Sebastian was right.

I just need a little more time.

I curled around the warmth of his body and felt the pulse of my kiss-swollen lips. Sebastian's hand rubbed up and down my back, allowing me to melt into him once more.

Sleep, it seemed, had been waiting just behind my eyelids.

Right as I began to drift off, Sebastian's voice hummed against my chest.

"Atley?"

Words felt heavy and difficult. "Hmm?"

A minute's pause and I almost fell asleep to the silence.

"...I love you."

----

Morning crept in with the hoot of a distant owl and a strong brush of cedar wood against the tip of my nose.

Sebastian had already been awake, rubbing his fingers gently through my hair and while I hummed at his touch, I couldn't help but notice how dark the circles were below his eyes. When I had asked him if he'd slept, he'd assured me that he had, but I wasn't so sure I believed it. Before I had had a chance to question him further though, Sebastian's stomach had very rudely interrupted with a loud gurgle.

"Time to tick off that list Barlowe."

First up was breakfast, which Sebastian reminded me at least twice was the most important meal of the day.