Chapter SIX - Never Have I

Anne and Ominis were far from thrilled by the idea but eventually gave in to the big brown-eyed heathen after he pleaded for a moment of "normalcy" between the four of us.

Their silent reservations seemed a reasonable response of those in mourning. There was no doubt in my mind that the pair were still attempting to process the events of the last few days. Merlin knew I was. Sebastian on the other hand, seemed more content with drowning his thoughts in mindless tasks and sip after sip of the firewhisky he'd managed to score from a sympathetic shopkeep in the hamlet circle.

"Honest ma'am, we just need a little something to ease the heartache." He had all but bat his lashes at the poor woman. "I wouldn't much be asking at all but... it's been an awfully long day and I know my sister would appreciate the distraction. We keep to ourselves in the home and it just feels a bit too empty without him."

In the end, the woman had packaged up four bottles of fire whisky and tossed in a sample of something called toadswallow for "good measure". Sebastian had had a hard time hiding his grin as the two of us walked back to the home, bags and bottles in hand.

"Four bloody bottles! Ha! I knew I was good but not that good." He chuckled. "At least Solomon was good for something."

My stomach had churned.

Now, the four of us were sat upon all the pillows and blankets we could pull together in front of the fireplace with the curtains pulled tightly closed, the nighttime starlight blocked firmly behind them. The four bottles had been distributed among us, glasses seemingly forgotten at the edge of our circle as everyone had taken to taking swigs from their own bottles at their own pace.

Anne's sat nearly untouched. She had been especially quiet all night despite Sebastian's constant attempts to cheer her up. She'd seemingly drifted into herself, the shell of her mind nodding in automated response to what happened around her. Nothing seemed to do the trick until Sebastian took another swig from the bottle, scrunched his face and offered to play a round of Gobstones.

Anne had smirked ever so slightly and in turn, Sebastian's grin had widened.

Four rounds later and Sebastian smelled absolutely horrific having lost every round.

A part of me wondered if he'd lost on purpose but the way he grumbled and stumbled off to the bathroom had nearly convinced me he hadn't until I noticed the steady smile still tucked under his wobbling frame as he left.

Anne, though still quieter than usual, beamed with pride and had even taken a few more sips from her bottle.

"This stuff truly is awful." She grimaced.

Ominis seemed a bit more open now as well, head thrown back as he laughed and bottle held tight between his fingers. I watched carefully as the boy tossed back another sip without so much as a shutter at the taste. I wondered how he could have such small a reaction to it.

Sebastian returned with slightly damp hair and a dewy sheen across his reddened cheeks. He pranced back towards the circle with uneasy balance and practically threw his head into my lap. The faint smell of Gobstone liquid still clung to his shirt but he smiled lazily to the ceiling.

"I've got the BEST idea." He raised his hands up and out to the roof to emphasize like a banner.

Ominis scoffed through another sip. "I highly doubt that."

Sebastian rolled over so suddenly he fell off my lap but righted himself quickly and held his pointer finger out to Ominis' nose, tapping it as he spoke. A rather grumbly Ominis flinched back and glared to the floor.

"You. Are. A. Fun. Sucker." Sebastian emphasized each word and syllable.

Anne rolled her eyes. "He most definitely is not. In fact, quite the opposite!"