Chapter Twelve: Teamwork

For an entire week, Kit and I nearly spend every waking hour with one another. Every morning we meet at the normal trainings - quietly discussing with one another new strategies and how to implement them within our own trainings at night. When that concludes we head to lunch with the other rare powers and after that we head to a private room and talk about what it means to expands our powers. Admittedly, it's been primarily been talk of Kit's powers as I refuse to go near others still. When we end that, we go down for dinner and training afterwards.

And after this entire week, I find that I actually quite like the prince's company.

Kit is observant and caring and much, much nicer than his older sister in just the limited times I've talked to Scarlett. Whereas Scarlett likes to be powerful and domineering, Kit is humble and tries to make him equals with everyone in the room. And I appreciate that. It's just so easy to talk to him without worrying he'll chop off my head at any moment.

"How do your powers work?" Louis asks Kit as he has started to join us after lunch.

Kit shrugs. "It comes naturally. It's hard to explain."

"Humor us," I chime in, still picking at a couple of snacks we brought in here. "Try to describe the feeling."

His green and silver eyes find mine for a moment before looking to the wall in front of him. "Usually thoughts just enter my mind. Only when I truly take the time to focus, only then I can dig in deeper and take more information."

I shiver at the thought of the prince knowing all of my thoughts. I know he wouldn't but the it's the threat of him possibly knowing is what's frightening. Knowing Kit caught my shiver, he frowns but Louis helps me out by asking, "What about the other half of your powers? The controlling bit?"

Kit's attention goes to Louis. "It's like a spell. Any order I give, the person obeys. There's not much effort in it."

"May we... see it in action?" I ask carefully.

Without hesitation, "No. I prefer not to."

"Not even for something small? Something so insignificant-"

"Freya," Kit says firmly. "No. I won't." He gives me an icy glare, one that comes second to the Ice Queen. "Unless you're the only one to refuse using your powers, hmm?"

I clench my jaw and look away embarrassed. Just as I think highly of him or any of the Royals, they always prove me wrong. Louis, once again, helps me. "So why don't you just try sending us a message?"

As I refuse to look at any of them, the room goes quiet as Kit focuses on sending a message telepathically. Time ticks on and on and on. Louis even says, "Well maybe other time-"

But then...

Look at me.

My eyes grow wide and my eyes snap to Kit's. I blink at him as it dawns on me. "Do that again. Whatever process you just did."

His eyes narrow and it takes another minute before a message arrives for me: I'm sorry, Freya.

"What are you sorry about?" I respond and a blush enters his cheeks.

"It worked?" Louis asks as he rises from his chair. "Well I want a message!"

Kit for once seems flustered. "Umm... alright..." Now as an observer, Kit turns to Louis and silence ensues for thirty seconds until Louis shouts, "Holy balls! Kit you did it!"

Kit lets out a huff. "Yeah," he laughs. "I guess I did."

I lean forward. "So what did you do? You got better that time around."