Chapter 3 - Alliance of the Nine United Sovereigns

A diverse and extensive range of soldiers stood guard at the doors of a grand assembly hall. Though it stood proud and mighty, the years were not kind to this hall; it was riddled with cracks and vines, the finery was all but worn away and the murals that once proudly coated the walls faded to obscurity. It was undoubtedly the oldest structure in the land, and a beacon of peace for its surrounding kingdoms.

Within the hall, eight rulers and their respective guests sat at a massive stone roundtable. At the head of the table, a banner bearing an image of a Super Star hung front and center upon the wall while banners bearing the symbols of each kingdom sat behind each corresponding ruler's chair. Between each banner were tall windows that flooded the room with natural light, offering beautiful views of the surrounding kingdoms' borders.

"The 1,889th annual Alliance of the Nine United Sovereigns meeting is called to order!" A small pixie princess, who had a red ponytail and matching gown, called out. "Is everyone present?"

"No. He's late," A lone blue penguin adorned in a king's crown and lavish red cape spoke up. "again."

"Oh, don't you worry, King Penguin. He'll show up." A second king, this one with light green skin, dark green leaves and light blue flower petals for hair, sighed. "Bowser is nothing if not consistent."

"Yeah, consistently dreadful!" A princess with fiery red hair, caramel skin and a yellow gown snorted. "I don't understand why we can't just bomb the Darklands into oblivion—"

"Because that's not the way we handle conflict, Daisy." The king sighed. "Now speak no more of this, dear sister, otherwise you're banned from attending future meetings! You know the rule."

"I'd like to see you try banning me, Florian." Princess Daisy snapped. "Especially after what he did to my baby niece."

"King Florian." Her brother corrected her. "Please at least pretend to take me seriously during diplomatic events."

"Then call me Princess Daisy. You becoming king doesn't change the fact that I'm still princess of the Flower Kingdom—"

"Will you two shut up!"

An elderly gorilla with a long white beard and green fringed crown shouted over the arguing siblings.

"I'm getting a headache over here listening to you nitwits!"

"My sincerest apologies, King Cranky. The arguing will cease." King Florian shot Princess Daisy a stern glance. "Right, Princess?"

"Okay, okay," Daisy absent-mindedly fiddled with the stitching on one of her gloves. "maybe if you'd let me bring Luigi, I'd be a better mood."

Florian put his head in his hands and let out a deep sigh.

"Queen Peach, is there anything you'd like to say to start this meeting off?" The red pixie princess piped up, turning everyone's attention to the Mushroom Kingdom's new queen.

Queen Peach impatiently tapped the table with her fingers and stared out at the others with a dire expression. Dark bags lined the undersides of her sapphire blue eyes, which now entirely lacked their usual sparkle and had dulled in hue. The red-clad plumber at her side wore a similar expression.

"No, Princess Scarlet." Peach spoke with an impatient, snappy tone. "I'll save my breath."

"Oh, boo hoo, your offspring died! Give me a break!" A crocodilian king with a gold armored belly, matching crown and red cape slammed his hands against the table. "Just make another one with that red guy and quit blubbering!"

Mario clenched his teeth and gripped the edge of the table in anger. Before he could stand or say a word, Queen Peach held a hand in front of her husband as if to say "he isn't worth the effort."