Chapter 1 - Princess of the Stars

7 YEARS AGO

"It is done, Your Rottenness." A spectacled wizard in blue robes gritted his teeth. "Princess Rosalina is dead."

The wizard could feel the eyes of the king's guards burn into him as he stood in the middle of the throne room. He hated every word that had left his lips; every whisper of disapproval from the surrounding soldiers only made the weight in his chest grow heavier.

King Bowser let out a guffaw and pumped his fists in the air. Two of the three ladies who sat beside him gasped, while the third appeared pleased.

"Finally! Some good news!" Bowser cheered. "That little brat's very existence was going to ruin everything!"

"O-Oh my stars!" Lady Kirsa held a hand over her mouth as if she was about to puke.

"We have to strike while the iron is hot, my king!" Lady Mora shoved past her fellow sister wife to be beside their husband. "I'll tell Captain Phoebe to gather the troops for a siege on the Mushroom Kingdom—"

"No need, babe," Bowser interrupted her. "I sent them out the minute Kamek left."

Lady Vesper, the smallest of the three wives whose amber eyes burned with rage, stood and wordlessly walked down the steps amidst the chattering between her husband and fellow sister wife.

Kamek hung his head in shame as she approached him.

"No, Lord Kamek," Vesper snapped and held a protective hand over her swollen stomach. "I want you to look me in the eyes."

"Ves, baby, what the heck's your problem—"

"Zip it, husband."

Bowser was stunned silent, as were Mora and Kirsa.

"You heard me, Lord Kamek. That was an order."

Kamek lifted his head and was immediately met with a staggering slap across the face. The young woman's eyes were filled with tears when he finally met them.

"My lady—"

"She was a baby, you bastard," She wept. "a newborn baby!"

Kamek glanced at Bowser, who only shrugged.

"Hormones. She'll get over it."

A trio of paratroopas raced into the throne room, all of them badly bruised bearing broken shells, broken limbs and lacerations. The one in the middle appeared to be the worst off; the other two had to assist him in order for him to stand on his feet.

"Y-Your Majesty—"

"You have more good news, right?" Bowser asked expectantly.

For a fleeting moment, the paratroopas shared uneasy glances between them.

"We have an update— f-from the Mushroom Kingdom." The middle one replied.

"Alright, spill it already!" Mora snapped. "The plan worked, right? It's ours?"

As much as I'm also curious, there are more pressing matters, Kamek thought. and either way, I know King Bowser and Lady Mora won't be distracted for long.

"My lady, if you could follow me—"

"I'm not going anywhere with you!"

Vesper snatched her hand away as quickly as Kamek had grabbed it.

"Shh!"

"Don't you dare shush me, you baby-killing psycho!"

I'm running out of time. I've already been away for too long.