Like a Little Bird in His Arms

Margherita trembled, like a little bird in his arms.

"Sorry," he said, immediately releasing her, and reassuming a safe distance

"Sorry," he said, immediately releasing her, and reassuming a safe distance. "Maybe the power's out?"

Margherita's blood pressure was through the roof. The station was really dark, and so was the city above. She felt evil ooze from the tunnels. And yet, what had agitated her the most had been Re's fleeting hug and the swift release that had followed. Confusion befuddled Margherita. Thunder crashed, and she yelped.

Luca touched her back gently. "It's okay," he said. "We'll be okay."

Was the king reassuring her? Margherita nodded, even if he couldn't see her. 

Re could hear her breathing hard. In a fever fog, his thoughts wandered in between the excitement of being alone with her and the guilt that she may be afraid to be alone with him. His mind was gently slipping away...

The intercom announced a power outage several blocks wide and a traffic ban due to the rain and the temporary darkness. "...please be patient and shelter in place. The techs will be on site as soon as possible."

Ten minutes went by with Margherita trying to calm herself. She texted Marco that she was stuck in the power outage. Marco replied not to worry, that no one would be around the pizzeria in this weather anyway. Even the old man had left in a hurry, cursing the elements, with a to-go casserole in hand.

Marghe felt terrible for Re, who hadn't said a word the whole time. His hand was still against her back. "Did you—did you have anywhere you had to be?" She asked, since he'd mentioned earlier that he had to go.

Luca did not answer. At least the station was dry and warm. She twisted toward him and his hand fell off her back.

"Re?" She called. "Re!"

Luca startled awake, groggy. "What? Pescatore, you okay?"

She was holding the front of his coat, straddling one of his legs, breathing hard, pretty close to his face, judging by the feel of it.