Let's Go Out

That night, the evening shift at Happy Pizza was slow. Both customers and Marco alike were hypnotized by the soccer game, which was ideal, since Chiara and Marghe had a lot to catch up on.

Chiara relayed Bellocchio's fumbled attempt at seduction, not to mention his ridiculous request to put in a good word with Marghe about Re.

"About that..." Marghe told Chiara how attracted she was to Luca, about spending the night at his place, and how kind he'd been to her. "I don't think he's interested. Definitely not after Saturday night."

"He cleaned your vomit?" Chiara's grin was rakish. "He likes you."

Marghe deflated. "You think? But even if that was true, and I doubt it, I cannot trust him. Red flags abound..."

She told Chiara the unabridged story of Mauro's brother and Mauro's own misadventures with Re. Then she added how she'd seen Re attacking the fifth year in the hallway out of nowhere.

"And you spent the night at his place?!"

"Shhhh!" Marghe cowered, but no one was paying attention to the two waitresses; Giroud had just gone down because of a fault.

The girls resorted to consult the internet oracle, which confirmed every concern they'd debated. Apparently, Re fit the profile of a narcissist. Narcissistic people thrived on admiration. They could be outstandingly charming, dashing even, to beguile designated prey. Unfortunately, a mean, manipulative streak and controlling behaviors inevitably revealed themselves, at times even in violent manners.

"It fits the bill," Chiara said, reading over Marghe's shoulder.

Marghe nodded. "I just—He didn't seem like he lacked empathy."

Chiara patted her head. "Revert your dreams to Tristante. He's even available now that Ludo's gone."

Margherita was not so sure.

On a Monday at the beginning of October, after class, Margherita entered the pool to find it filled with autumn leaves in all shades or yellow, orange, and red in a striking gradient

On a Monday at the beginning of October, after class, Margherita entered the pool to find it filled with autumn leaves in all shades or yellow, orange, and red in a striking gradient. At least this prank was beautiful.