A Starlit Kiss

Later that summer, in August, neither the P2 nor Ludo understood the sudden change of plans the king had imposed until they spotted Margherita Pescatore on the Andora beach.

"Really?" Sam looked at Luca, who was leaning over the railing of his family's yacht. "You said Sardinia was cliché, but I only see old people and families hanging out here—oh, and Pescatore."

Luca flipped his shit. "Where?! For real? Let's go to shore and mess with her!"

Ludovica held on to her sunhat, watching a timid smile spread on Lorenzo's face.

On the Andora beach, people had gathered on the surf, watching the luxury boat and guessing who'd own it. The Aga Khan? The Vincitores?

When Margherita, laying supine on her beach towel, heard Re's last name, she propped herself up on her elbows

When Margherita, laying supine on her beach towel, heard Re's last name, she propped herself up on her elbows. She hadn't seen the P2 since the end of school, for two whole months, and her life had gone back to a dull routine.

Everything she'd enjoyed so much before, like swimming in the sea, lacked luster, somehow. She'd blamed it all on being hormonal and lonely, her idle feelings yearning for drama and, honestly, for anything to happen.

Margherita did not expect to be elated when she spotted Re, waving from a dinghy approaching shore, coming from a monster yacht that could have been a small island.

The P2 leapt ashore, among whispers and a high tide of cellphones, filming them from every angle. Used to it, Luca strode to Pescatore, or would have but Dad, who'd been building a sand castle with Alessandro, intercepted him with a massive hug. "Luca! So good to see you!"

Alessandro jumped up to hang from Re's bicep. Re was deeply moved and overwhelmed.

Meanwhile, Giuliano turned to the crowd, and smiled. "A little privacy, folks. Any video and picture posted with any of the people in our party will be sued for image copyright infringement and invasion of our privacy. Take them down before it's too late."

A mad scramble followed. People still pointedly looked their way, leaning to eavesdrop, but a glare from Giuliano granted them some space.

Margherita squirmed in a red athletic swimsuit under a tacky umbrella by her mom. Red suited her. Luca thought he'd never seen anything more beautiful.

Leaving Dad behind, Re nodded at Mom, who grinned like a maniac.

To Margherita's chagrin, Mom swooned. "Luca, hi! How sweet of you to visit! And just in time for Margherita's birthday, too! Is that your family's yacht?"

"One of them," he answered, distracted by the look on Margherita's face. 

She was stunned, petrified, and he still had his t-shirt on.

Mom was about to say more but Margherita blurted, "Good god, you're like a recurring nightmare. Why are you here?"

Was he seeing things? What she said did not match what he thought she felt. Lorenzo chuckled behind him, the traitor, and Margherita went still, adoring eyes on him.