Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, cute," Cameron mumbled.

Cameron's high heels clicked loudly as they kissed the scalding pavement, counting the steps to her car.

"Marching double time, aren't you?"

She swung her head to see Max propped against her car. An exasperated sigh left her freshly-glossed lips. "Good grief, Goliath. I don't need an escort."

He grinned. "I need a ride."

"Where's the Suburban?"

"Shadow and Hawke took it back to the hotel." He snatched her keys from her grasp, and unlocked the door. "Get in."

Cameron stood dumbfounded as he pushed her into the driver's seat and walked around to the passenger side where Rachel waited. For a split second, she considered leaving the other door locked, but he'd probably crawl on the roof or something.

"Unlock the door," he ordered, his voice full of cool authority.

"Fine." She pressed the button on her remote.

Max waved Rachel into the tiny backseat then he entered the car legs first and folded his large frame into the small, cramped interior with his knees nearly touching his chin.

"This is such a girly car," he mumbled as his biceps bumped the side window.

"Duh," Cameron threw at him impatiently,"below your right hand is the seat control." She turned to Rachel. "Sorry, he won't fit back there unless we hogtie him and I don't think that's possible."

Rachel grinned. "It's not far."

Cameron watched Max ease back the seat and heard him release a heavy breath when his groin wasn't quite so squeezed.

"Put the key in the ignition."

She smiled sweetly and batted her eyelashes. "Buckle up, Safety Man."

Max stretched the seatbelt across his body and snapped it together. She started the car, lowered the top, and giggled as the rays of sunshine bounced off her diamond-studded sunglasses.

"This won't mess up your hair, will it?"

"Just drive," Max grumbled.

Cameron swung her sports car down the expressway and finally into Rachel's drive.

"Straight inside," Max ordered.

Cameron frowned. "I need to run home for a minute."

"No."

"Yes," she insisted. "If you intend to hold me hostage, I need to get something."

"What?"

"Something."

"What do you possibly need that you wouldrisk being killed by a terrorist?"

"My cat."

"Your cat?"

"Yes. I won't stay here without him."

"Hawke has people. He can arrange for your cat to be cared for."

"No. He doesn't like strangers."

"Oh for the love of - I'll get the cat."

"I don't think so. He definitely won't come to you."

"Your choice, Princess. Either I get him or he stays home alone."

"Fine. Need to borrow my car?"

Steele ambled outside.

"No," Max told her, "I'll take Steele's truck."

"Good thing." She whacked his biceps with her bag as she pulled it from behind the seat. "You couldn't handle this much power."