Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

CHAPTER THREE

Rachel rubbed her aching temples and took another swig of Gingerale. What had she been thinking? Obviously, her bad boy hunger had been satisfied because hunger was not what she felt this morning. Not even a twinge. Cameron was just going to have to accept the fact that she was beyond help. No more adventures, no more flashing, and no more biker bars. Ever.

Thank God she didn't have any appointments scheduled today.  She jumped when the shrill shriek of the telephone on her desk stabbed her eardrums.

"Rachel Newberry," she answered, attempting to disguise her discomfort.

"Ms. Newberry, my name is Greg Huntington. I received your name from a friend of mine who highly recommends your services."

Rachel shifted to a sitting position and chased a rolling pencil around the desk. "How can I help you, Mr. Huntington?"

"One of my clients would like to build a house in the area.  We would like to schedule a meeting."

She slapped the pencil with her open palm and wiggled it between her fingers. "I'd love to help you, however, my client list is full at the moment."

And I'm too hung over to focus on my calendar.

She heard a throaty chuckle across the line. "You might change your mind after meeting him."

Him? Her? Who cares?

"I'm sorry, Mr. Huntington, I'm just so busy right now. I could give you the name of-"

"My client is Jaydon Hawke."

A tense silence vibrated between them. Her head pounded double time. Any minute now one of two things were going to happen: Her head would explode and scatter what was left of her brain all over the desk, or the alarm would buzz and she'd wake up from this horrible nightmare.

"Ms. Newberry?"

She cleared her throat. "Does Mr. Hawke know who I am?"

Another cocky snicker. "Of course."

Rachel pinched the bridge of her nose. So much for anonymous. "And he still asked you to call me?"

"He insisted. Why?"

Rachel hesitated. How much did this man actually know about her encounter with Hawke?  "Mr. Hawke and I have met."

"Yes, I know." A note of arrogance slipped through his response. "I don't understand your hesitancy."

Rachel sighed. Either he didn't know the whole story or he did and chalked it up to rock star drama. Still, she tread carefully.  "We met last night under some very ... unusual circumstances. Trust me, after last night's fiasco, you should be surprised he wants to hire me."

A loud thunk pierced her left eardrum. O..kay...  Apparently there were several things he didn't know. She squinted one eye and held the phone at arm's length until he spoke.

"Ms. Newberry, we would really appreciate an appointment."

Another wave of nausea crested in her esophagus. She swallowed hard, desperate to get him off the phone. "If you're certain."

"I am."

"Fine.  I'll meet him after hours." Rachel scribbled Greg's name on her calendar. "Six o'clock this evening."

"We'll take it. Hawke and his security manager will be there."

Rachel returned the receiver to the cradle and threw her head back against her chair, only to regret the rapid movement. She squeezed her eyes closed and begged her stomach to behave. Why on Earth had she been so agreeable to meet Hawke? And now what? By now the bouncer had filled him in on all the excitement. Rachel groaned. How was she supposed to know Hawke planned to hire her? She pressed her palms to her forehead and took a deep breath.