Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

CHAPTER FOUR

The ride to the restaurant was a true test in restraint for Hawke. Seated inches away from him, Rachel sat quietly with her hands folded in her lap. Meanwhile, he fisted his own hands in an attempt to keep them to himself. He swallowed another dose of irritation. Normally there would be a whole lot of touchy feely going on between them by now. Yet, she appeared relaxed and not the least bit interested in anything other than casual conversation.

"Romero's is just up the next hill, Max," she said into the silence.

Hawke turned to look out the window. Romero's Elegancia sat at the top of a hill overlooking the sleepy desert below. The two-story, adobe building was the only structure in the area, surrounded on all four sides by a wooden fence. Tonight, bright moonlight bounced off the water feature in front, streaming a path to the front door where waiters in white evening jackets waited to greet each guest. Rachel was exactly right, this place wasn't McDonald's.

"Take the second left," Rachel said into the darkness. "We can go in the back entrance."

Max steered to the back of the restaurant, stopped beneath a green canopy, and then opened the back passenger door. He gave Hawke a nod. "Call me when you're finished."

Rachel gave Max a smile. "You're welcome to join us."  

Max offered Rachel a hand and lifted her from the car.  "Thank you, Miss Newberry, but Hawke can handle this on his own."

"Rachel," she said softly.

Hawke raised an eyebrow. Would Max take the bait?

With his usual lack of emotion, Max nodded. "Rachel. I'll wait out here."

Hawke exited behind Rachel to find her already in conversation with the maitre de. "Hello, Manuel, nice to see you again."

"Buenos Noches, Rachel. Would you like your usual table?"

Rachel nodded and Manuel led them to a corner table upstairs, away from the crowd.

"Obviously you come here often," Hawke said.

"I've been here a few times," she admitted as he pulled a chair out for her. She turned to look around the area. "Why do I think this isn't a coincidence?"

He shot her a wicked grin as he sat opposite her. "I called ahead."

She arched one fine eyebrow.  "Before you asked me to dinner?"

"I had high hopes," he teased.

He watched as her face paled and she shuddered ever so slightly.  "No, really, Rachel, I didn't have a reservation."

He signaled the waiter who arrived shortly with wine in hand. Hawke poured two glasses then leaned back casually in his chair, amazed at what an enigma Rachel presented. Not only was she physically beautiful, she was gentle and extremely intelligent. Not his usual mark.

Rachel lifted her glass and downed half of the scarlet liquid before he could take his first swallow. He watched her set the glass back on the table and then focus her gaze on his chest. He looked down to see what held her attention and noticed his shirt had managed to free itself from several buttons, exposing smooth, bare skin. He glanced back at her and saw her nipples tighten beneath her silky blouse.

"Hungry?"

She snapped her eyes from his chest and me this head on. The look he found told him she wasn't hungry, she was starved.

He felt himself harden and opted for casual conversation. "You didn't say whether you enjoyed the concert."

Rachel lifted her glass again and swallowed the remaining contents before she spoke. "Actually, I learned a few things."