Leather, Lace and Rock-n-Roll

Start from the beginning

Wait a minute.

Cameron was probably right, the beefy bodyguard was much more than muscle.  Now she was certain they'd checked her out.  And the manager, what's-his-name- she leaned forward and checked her calendar - Greg Huntington. He mentioned a referral from another client. So, had Hawke planned to hire her before the concert?

She reached for the aspirin near the computer. Whatever his reasoning, she was stuck now. Besides, even if she did call and cancel, Cameron would reschedule. In fact, Cameron would welcome the opportunity to flex her muscle at both Hawke and his bodyguard.  Rachel released a heavy sigh. Hawke just didn't realize how lucky he was that he'd caught her at a weakmoment.

***

Lt. Jaydon Hawke twirled the business card through his fingers as Cpt. Max Sterling drove him to meet the mysterious Rachel Newberry. After the unexpected events of the last twenty four hours, he wasn't sure quite what to expect. The sexy woman he had encountered last night was a total surprise.  Where was the meek and plain architect that had been secretly followed and photographed? He hadn't been as prepared as he'd thought.

Part of him wanted to believe she arranged the after-hours meeting for personal reasons. After all, they hadn't had an opportunity to talk much at the show. Or at Harley's. But then, Greg mentioned her hesitance at meeting at all.  Almost as if she had no intention of ever seeing him again. Hawke scrubbed a hand over his jaw, aggravated by the question marks assaulting his brain.

"Take it easy, Hawke. Stick to the plan. You're just supposed to seduce her, like always."

Max's booming command caused Hawke to shove his thoughts of Rachel to the side and at least attempt to appear smooth. "What makes you think I'm planning anything more?" Hawke shrugged. "She's a suspect and I have to do whatever it takes to get close to her."

"Something else is going on in that thick skull of yours."

"Just strategy."

"If you say so."

"She's not what I expected."

"They never are."

"No, really. According to her profile, she hardly ever leaves the office, she has one close friend, and she rarely socializes."

"So?"

"So why the hell was she at the concert?"

"We lured her there, remember?"

Hawke weighed that fact. True, they had approached her client with concert tickets, hoping he would pass them to her. "We provided the bait, but why did she accept?"

"I think the blonde hellcat had something to do with that."

Hawke snickered. "That is highly possible."

"You know as well as I do criminals don't advertise."

"She doesn't fit the prototype."

"You've spent too many hours behind a computer, Hawke. I think there's more to it."

Hawke folded his arms across his chest. "Oh yeah? Then, please, fill me in."

"Seems to me you're caught up in your cover. She's a young, beautiful piece of tail who didn't kiss your ass. You want to find out why and change her mind."

"Gee-zus, Max, she's a mark!"

Max raised an eyebrow but didn't answer.

Hawke opened his mouth to argue then decided against it.  Max knew the score.  Screw the assignment. Rachel's rejection stung. Not because she wasn't interested - she was interested, her body had betrayed her in that regard - but because she wouldn't give him a chance.