1

For the first time, Juliette felt a wave of confidence walking to the portable classroom at the back of her school.

It was the only classroom their orchestra class could use on the daily that could accommodate well over 30 students. After the past five years of frustration and dedication, she had risen to the top of the cello section, and she was determined to keep it that way throughout high school as well.

Pulling out her phone, Juliette finger-combed through her dark hair, specially curled into loose ringlets for the first day of school. Once satisfied, the phone was pocketed into the folds of her plaid skirt as she extended her hand to grasp the rusted door knob. Turning the knob ever so slightly--which had to be done at the right angle--she pulled the door open to be ushered in by the blast of cool air from the air conditioning.

You would think that after all the funding received at their private junior high school, they would have enough to replace a door knob.

The wave of crisp air ruffled the sleeves of her cream-colored blouse. Closing the door firmly behind her, Juliette took in the familiar smell of rosin and pine. Black concert chairs were arranged in a semi-circle pattern, facing the middle of the circle, where their orchestra director stood arranging her files on the music stand.

Mrs. Moon had been the school's orchestra director since the school was established 14 years ago. In that time, she had aged significantly, but her welcoming yet strict demeanor had never changed. Years of managing teenage students were obvious with the faint wrinkles around her eyes. She was wearing her usual attire, a simple black shirt and blue denim years, with two large plastic barrettes pulled back her thick blonde curls.

"Welcome, everyone!" Mrs Moon said with a warm smile. "Today, you may take a seat anywhere you'd like, as long as it is within your instrument section."

More students shuffled in as Juliette tucked her backpack under her seat, and sat down in the same place since 6th grade.

Second row, 3rd chair.

She had a somewhat emotional attachment to that particular spot.

Juliette skimmed over the cellists in her section, making a mental note that there were three other 7th graders. She let out a sigh of relief once she saw another 8th grade student in her class--Joshua--who was the best cellist in their grade. Her cheeks warmed at the thought of him, who had been nothing more than distant friends since the start of their musical education.

There were a total of five cellists, including her, in this class. An odd number of cellists meant that she wouldn't have a stand partner if she ended up in the last row. However, another part of her hoped that she would do well enough to be second chair, so she could be Josh's stand partner.

Juliette relaxed in her chair, waiting for the passing period bell to ring. The door clicked open yet again, and Juliette saw her best friend, Hazel, walk in. Their last class before orchestra was, unfortunately, on very different sides of the campus, so it wouldn't be easy to walk to class together.

Hazel's eyes lit up when she saw Juliette, waving to her before heading to the other side of the room, where the violinists sat. Her blonde hair was tied in a high ponytail, which bobbed back and forth with her step.

Finally the bell rang, signaling the end of passing period. Mrs. Moon sat on her chair at the front of the room, directly behind the music stand that held her important teacher files. Opening her binder the teacher flipped to the page that said 'Period 3.'

"Alright everyone, welcome to advanced orchestra," Mrs Moon started. "As you all know, Cortland's advanced orchestra has roughly 70 students, so the orchestra will be split into two different classes, one half in period three and the other half in period six. I'll be taking roll call now, so when I call your name, please say 'here' and what instrument you'll be playing this year."