NINE

Rudra checked the time on his wrist watch for the tenth time and then stared towards the lift

Rudra checked the time on his wrist watch for the tenth time and then stared towards the lift. In the past six years that he had been Zafar's secretary, Zafar had never been late for work. And today, not only was he late, he was three hours late. Rudra had already postponed two of his meetings, and if he didn't arrive in the next fifteen minutes, he would have to push another one as well.

But thankfully that wasn't needed, because Zafar studded out of the elevator the very next second. Rudra instantly got on his feet and followed his boss inside his cabin.

"I know I have missed two meetings." Zafar said as he sat on his chair, "Reschedule it for tomorrow. And do I have any other meetings today?"

Rudra nodded. "One in fifteen minutes and the other is at 6 in the evening."

Zafar thought for a second. "Prepone the six o'clock to four." If the meeting started at 6, there was no way it would end before 8. And he didn't want to reach home late today.

"And, Rudra, visit the bank today. Open an account in the name of Madiha Shah and also make one of my personal accounts into a joint account with her. Get debit and credits of both the accounts, no limit, and have it delivered home."

Rudra had his eyes widening in confusion. He knew Madiha was the name of Zahid's fiance, but he was not sure why Zafar was taking care of her finances. But he also knew it was none of his business to pry in his boss' personal life. He was paid to follow his orders, not to question them.

After Zafar went for the meeting, Rudra drove towards the haveli to get Madiha's ID to start the bank procedures.

__________________________________

"Bhabhi, do you want to watch a movie?" Ziya asked.

Madiha nodded before adding. "You know I am only one year older than you. So you can call me by my name if you want."

"It doesn't matter." Ziya shook her head while opening Netflix on the TV. "You're older than me in relation. And I'd have considered calling you by your name had you been Zahid bhai's wife. But now, you are Zafar's bhai wife."

Madiha stared at her sister-in-law, trying to understand the meaning of what she said.

"After dad's demise, Zafar bhai took over the responsibility to provide us with everything. He worked so hard, forgetting to enjoy his twenties, just so that we can have the best life possible. I might not say it to him often, but I see him as a father figure. I love him to death, but more than that, I respect him. Not just me, everyone respects him. And you are his wife. And that fact alone is enough to make you worthy of the same respect as him."

Madiha grasped everything she said, and she got slightly overwhelmed by it. But before she could reply back, a househelp interrupted them. "Ma'am, Mr Rudra is here."

"Let him in." Ziya instructed her before turning to Madiha. "He is the secretary of Zafar bhai. Apart from family, if it is safe to trust on anyone, it is Rudra."

Rudra walked inside in his formal suit. His hands behind his back as he politely nodded at both the ladies. "Zafar sir has asked to open a bank account for Madiha ma'am. So I will need your ID, if you don't mind."

Madiha looked towards Ziya in confusion, who nodded to her. So Madiha stood up and went upstairs to her room to retrieve her government photo ID. She came back and gave it to Rudra.

"Thank you, ma'am. I'd come back to get your signature." He nodded again. "Have a nice day."

"What was that about?" Madiha asked after Rudra left. "Why a bank account?"

Ziya gave her an obvious look. "You're bhai's wife now. Of course he is going to make sure you're taken care of in every way."

"But.."

"No ifs and buts." Ziya shushed her, "You just start making a shopping list. I'd gladly help you to make a dent in his bank balance."

They shared a laugh before divulging into a rom-com for the rest of the afternoon.

Rudra, on the other hand, went to the bank to get the work done. Because the Abraar name was involved, it didn't take much time to get things done before he headed back to the office.

Zafar was finished with the meeting and was working in his cabin. Rudra came in after knocking and kept a form on the table. "I have filled most of it, only your and ma'am's signature and relationship is pending."

Zafar scanned the joint account form before scribbling his sign at the end and filling the relationship column. "Send someone home to get Madiha's sign and submit the form before the bank closes. I need this done today."

Rudra took back the form. Curiosity got the best of him, and he peeked to see the relationship. Wife. Rudra's eyes widened. How did Zahid's fiance become Zafar's wife? A thousand theories birthed in his brain, but he shrugged it off immediately, telling himself once again that his boss' personal life was none of his concern.

Zafar was watching Rudra from the corner of his eyes. His secretary's not-so-subtle expression was giving away his thoughts, and for a second, Zafar thought he'd ask when and how he got married. But Rudra opened his mouth only to say, "Congratulations on the wedding, sir."

Zafar nodded with a blank face. And then Rudra left the room.

This once again made Zafar realize the exceptional qualities of Rudra. Not only was he highly skilled at his job, but he also maintained a strict professionalism, refraining from any form of impropriety. It was exactly the way Zafar preferred it.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

A small chapter with some more character building. This is all I could get out today.

The next chapter would be longer, and..umm..better!