Chapter 1 - I've Got Nothing Left to Live For

Author's Note: You know what they say about curiosity killing the cat? It... keeps happening.

This is for the Clone Bang, and it'll be updated twice a week until it's done. :) The two awesome artists who drew art for this fic are @pidgotto (on tumblr and @pidgotto.arts on Instagram) and @aceinspaceart (on tumblr and @ace.in.space.art on Instagram). The links for the art will be on ao3, in the chapters which they're for. 

~ Rivana Rita

Echo seemed certain this might work. Hunter... isn't, but it's the only chance they have. And they have to try. There's nothing he wouldn't be willing to try. Nothing he wouldn't be willing to do.

Anything, so they can get Omega back.

She gave them purpose. They were supposed to take care of her – they would do anything for her. They would die for her.

They... did.

Tech did.

Any of them would've done it.

And it feels like a part of him died there, too. Wrecker is the only one of the brothers he grew up with who he has left. Tech... used to be the middle. He always was. Now, it's Hunter. Even if he's still – somehow – supposed to be their leader.

He feels... empty. The Marauder is quiet, too quiet.

It would be easier if Tech was here. At least that way, everything would make a small amount of sense. They hadn't even had time to grieve or process before they lost Omega, too.

So, when Echo suggested they go to this now-abandoned Republic base, despite the potential dangers, Hunter didn't think twice. But now that he's here, now that he's inside – he left Echo and Wrecker with the ship, so he could scout out alone, just in case – he knows something's wrong. He can't even say what it is, but it's... something.

He senses it, that energy is pooling to center at a point in... the middle of the room, which doesn't make sense.

Something in the darkness is shimmering red. If Omega were here, Hunter would tell her to stay back, because it looks... dangerous. He knows it is, but after... after, he can't even care about that anymore – not so long as they take the chance they have.

He should hold back, should wait. Something is... wrong.

Hunter knows that, so he doesn't know why he moves forwards, anyway. He can almost hear Tech's voice in his mind, telling him to be careful, that this is dangerous, and they don't know anything about the Jedi's Force abilities, or whatever this object is.

But in the end, he can't change the past. He can't turn back time. He can't... bring them back.

Tech should have been here with them. He would have been, if Hunter hadn't let them go in blindly after Crosshair. Because for all that they want their little brother back, this isn't about what they want. It's about survival.

It's about Omega. It's always about Omega.

And in that hope-driven moment, he let himself forget that.

They lost Tech for that. They lost...

Everything.

And there is nothing he wouldn't do to get them all back.

The energy in the room is shifting, pulsing. The object is... radiating energy. It's gathering, whirling around it in a violent storm, and...

Hunter doesn't really remember what happened next.