we start walking towards the dorms and she stops and turns to me in a concerned tone, "vee .. i don't understand why you're so embarrassed about your major baby, you've been into this all your life! for your twelfth birthday you begged me to take you to the museum of science and industry, and for your eighth we went to the library!.." i sigh instantly as she dawns on the past, "yea mom but no one here knows that .. and i want to keep it that way.." she still had a confused look, "ma, if people find out i'm this tech savvy book nerd then they'll start using me and my time for answers to assignments and tests...just like high school... and i want my connections with people to be genuine.."

in high school i wasn't popular or unpopular, i was just me. i always observed from afar and i was a quiet individual, but i was nice to everyone. i often let people take advantage of me and use me for my smarts. i never really knew how to stand up for myself. people who i thought were genuinely my friends often proved to me that they were only around me because i got them straight A's. i put my heart and soul into those people and those were real attachments to me, just not to them. keeping those friendships drained me. it took me a long time to realize it, so my senior year i disposed of all
of those "friends".

the only real friend i've ever known was my childhood bestfriend trevon alexander. we were bestfriends since second grade and he stuck by my side and even defended me against those who tried to pick on me. he always told me that i was being used but i would just tell him that he was wrong and jealous. he was considered "popular" so me being on his arm got me a lot of those "friends". he ended up transferring our junior year and i haven't seen him since. he never reached out, not once. not even when graduation happened. i reached out, but never got a response. sometimes it makes me believe we were never really friends either but i'll always have love for him.

she rubs my head "baby you're not here for people, you're here to get your degree.." , "and while that may be true my sweet mother, i have to live here and make it easy...you don't..now, can we please hurry up because kai is waiting upstairs and i already told her i'll be here way earlier than what we are now and she's gonna rip my head off..." as soon i said that my pager buzzed immediately, it read from kai, "U R SO L8, ORIENTATION IN TEN MIN HURRY!" , "see what i mean?" i quickly showed my mom my pager, placed it in my pocket and started jogging towards the entrance. "mom just drop everything off at my room okay?" i yell as i'm jogging. "can i at least get a hug?" , "i love you mom!" i respond to her statement yelling as i jog.

*

i finally got to the doorway of my room and dropped my bags in a deep breath, as i catch my breath i see kai checking herself out in her full body mirror as if she was going to a party. she had on low rise jeans with a cropped dark blue shirt that showed her belly ring & read "NCAT" in bright yellow bold letters, her sandy blonde hair in cornrows and jewelry on her wherever you look. her makeup was glowy and shining but it looks like it's barely there. she was ethereal.

"you couldn't tell me the elevators were out of order kai? my mom still has stuff to bring up!" , "YOU couldn't tell me that you were gonna be an hour late?" she says fixing her lipgloss in her compact mirror, her side of the room was already organized with her vanity and everything else she needs to be kailah, her jodeci posters making a surprise appearance.

"oh, fuck. you. did you want my mom to go 200 in a 40?", "sophomore orientation started twenty minutes ago and we have zero time to bullshit! ... i'm sorry, is that what you're wearing?" she asks in a confused giggly tone. i had on a casual fit i would wear any other day, some baggy khakis, and a regular solid dark brown shirt that read "over it." in white letters as it showed my navel a bit. "those orientations are boring, you don't remember freshman year?" , "that's because we were FRESHMEN, just cmon and at least put on some lipgloss please!" she hands me her lipgloss, grabs my hand and immediately pulls me out the room.