| 76 | Winner Takes All

Start from the beginning

It was working. Everything was going just as Cyrus had said it would.

And just as Cyrus had also said, the cadejo started coming.

"Get ready," Wesley said as they all turned to face the incoming corpses.

Jackson shivered in trepidation. Despite the fact that he'd faced the cadejo multiple times already, he hadn't gotten used to them. That smell, the sight of their rotting, mangled bodies. And knowing that one bite would turn his packmates horrified him.

But there was no room for fear. It was time to fight.

 It was time to fight

| Damon |

Damon stormed through the battlefield with Cyrus, searching for Kane. They assisted their allies on their way, scouring every building and tent, but the cowardly wolf was nowhere to be seen.

Cyrus grabbed one of Kane's wolves and lifted her up off her feet. "Where's your Alpha?!" he growled, glaring into her terrified eyes.

The brown wolf choked and whimpered as she insisted, "I-I don't know!"

Damon grabbed a wolf, too. "Tell me where Kane is!" he demanded.

With a guttural snarl, the wolf tried to fight back, but he was no match for Damon's strength and was soon pinned down with nowhere to go.

"Tell me!" Damon yelled furiously.

"Fuck you!" the wolf roared.

Damon smashed his furred fist into the wolf's face, knocking him out. But then he saw something—a shimmer of silver in the corner of his eye. He sharply turned his head towards it, and when he saw Kane scurrying out of a building which Raphael had just crashed into and caused to collapse, a grin stretched across his face. There he was.

He burst towards him, charging through the crowds of battling wolves; he didn't care that he knocked down Cyrus' fighters. He was going to get that coward; he wouldn't let him get away again.

"Damon!" Cyrus called, chasing after him.

Damon ignored him. He raced across the battlefield, keeping his eyes on Kane, watching as he scampered around like a rat, avoiding the fight. What a filthy little coward.

He dropped to all fours so that he could run faster. As he vaulted over a brick wall, he snarled angrily and saw Kane heading for a tunnel entrance. Of course he was going for the mines.

But he wasn't the only one chasing the cowardly wolf. A blinding flash of white light hit the rock face above the mine entrance; Kane stumbled to a halt as rubble fell and blocked the way inside, and he was forced to veer right and head for another shaft. But the winged creature—which could only be Maleki in some sort of vampire form—swooped down and threw another ball of exploding light towards the other mine entrance, blocking it off with rubble.