Matt nodded, knowing there was nothing more he could say. If she needed quiet, he would give her that.

It had been close, but he couldn't resist watching them leave. The prince and the goodie two shoes, he thought.

Well, all those McKennan's are going to get what's coming to them soon enough and little Miss Maddie Stone, is not going to know what hit her. It was too bad really, he didn't dislike her, on the contrary, he had liked her very much growing up. Especially watching her at night, when she was young. She is simply in his way. She should have stayed away. Then she wouldn't have to die.

David McKennan drove from the airport with his wife and grandson chattering along in the back seat. Poor Josh sat confused and bored as he listened to all the stories and latest local gossip of what was happening since he had been to visit his grandparents last.

David felt for the child. He had just lost his mother, and has been shipped off to a father he barely knew and a family that can be extremely overwhelming to put it mildly.

He glanced in his rearview mirror and saw Josh watching him.  David gave him a friendly smile, knowing Dottie would be driving the poor child insane before the week was up. From the look on Josh's face, he knew it too.

Matt might have to give up the attic after all and take a room with the rest of the family. Josh is going to need that little safe haven, and dear ol' dad will need to provide it.

The roads are slick with black ice. David maneuvered them as carefully as he could. He glanced in his mirror again and saw the exhaustion, and broken heart in the boy's eyes. Dottie stopped talking long enough for him to get her attention. "That's enough Dot, the boy is tired out."

David turned up the radio and gave him a smile. "Hey, Josh, didn't you say this was your favorite group."

He received a thankful smile from his grandson and a scowl from his wife. It was for her own good, David thought. The boy needed a break and sometimes his wife was just a bit smothering.

David knew that feeling only too well growing up. It was part of his reason for wanting to leave Dahlia as a child and place a bit of distance between him and his own parents. He had joined the Navy and found it to be the best thing he could have done.

He had been thinking about his time in the service a lot lately. It was only recently, since Travis's return from duty, did he feel his life was finally back in place. Now with Matt and Josh home too, well, it seemed everything he wanted was coming to him.

He sat eagerly waiting in the black SUV. They would be passing him soon. He turned on the engine and waited a moment as he watched the green Suburban head away from town. The streets in the winter just weren't safe with all the snow and ice. Dear old Daddy really should drive more carefully, especially with such precious cargo, he thought and pulled out behind the vehicle.

He had poked a hole in the brake fluid hose while the car was parked at the airport. No telling when those brakes would go out and he didn't want to miss the climax of the accident. Once on the road, and close behind the Surburban, he turned on his brights. This time they would all pay.

The slip of the wheels brought David out of his thoughts. The car began to skid off the road as it hit the patch of ice. David controlled the skid and stayed on the road, but as he pushed on his brakes, they didn't engage. He pumped the brakes again and again and felt the fear and panic begin to rise. His hands tightened on the wheel, and his body tensed. The brakes were gone and as dark as it was outside, as slick as the road was, they were in serious trouble.
The deer suddenly came out of nowhere and David heard Dottie scream. The impact sent his chest barreling into the steering wheel, setting off the air bags. His arms tensed and he took the blow, as his forehead made contact with the glass.