Chapter 10

Thank you for reading enjoy

Chapter 10

Four hours had passed, slower than Matt could have dreamed. The calls were made and a lawyer was en route to the sheriff's office. Matt and Travis were specifically instructed to stay put until bail was set and the attorney was able to post bail. There was no point in them sitting around a jail when Matt needed to be home when his son arrived. Matt argued, Travis protested, and in the end the lawyer won and the two men were left at home, while Daniel and Michael headed off to work.

"I don't understand it," Matt muttered more to himself than to his brother, who was sitting at the table in the kitchen with him as Cassie began making dinner.

"Hmm?" Cassie looked over her shoulder at him.

"She wouldn't even look at me. What the hell happened that she suddenly decided to close herself off?" Matt stared at the mug of coffee in front of him, hoping to find an answer.

Cassie stirred the rice and debated silently whether to tell Matt about the conversation she had with Madison just before the sheriff arrived. Madison hadn't shut herself off until after she had talked to her. Could Madison really believe she would be shunned by this family? Or did Madison really have a problem with her?

Cassie ran over the conversation again in her head. Madison was defensive and abrupt with her, a defense mechanism some people create to avoid certain situations, she concluded. She had been tossed aside by how many others besides her parents. The poor girl was probably scared by it and didn't trust a soul.

"How could two people do that to a child ... I don't get it," Cassie muttered and slapped the wooden spoon she had in her hand on the counter.

Travis and Matt both paused as they were about to take a drink of their coffee to look at Cassie. She had been silent ever since the sheriff had left. Travis was certain Cassie knew something, but he was trying to wait her out to see if she was going to spill it, before he had to pry it out of her. Matt hadn't paid a bit of attention to her mood until that moment. He was too concerned about Madison.

"Cassie Marie, are you gonna let us in on what you know or are you just gonna continue to talk to yourself and drive all of us crazy?" Travis casually asked as he brought his steaming mug to his lips.

Cassie looked up and saw both brothers waiting for her to explain herself. She bit the side of her lip and contemplated. Cassie acknowledged once again to herself, she was the worst when it came to secrets. Travis could always read her like a book, for some reason the man always knew when she was hiding something. At times like this it was just plain frustrating.

"Madison and I had a little talk earlier... I don't think it went well..." Cassie spoke slowly. She turned away from the brothers, hoping they wouldn't dig at her too much. "I guess she misunderstood my intentions and got a little upset."

Matt scrubbed his hands over his face. This was not sounding good at all. "What exactly did you say, Cassie, and don't leave anything out." He has gotten to know Cassie very well. She is overprotective of those she loves. She has seriously caused problems for him in the romance department over the last year.

"I didn't say anything, really," Cassie defended herself. Seeing the disbelief in both her husband's and Matt's eyes she rolled her eyes. "Really. She didn't give me a chance. Madison thinks she's not good enough for you and said that as soon as this was over she would be out of your life for good. She said there was nothing for me to worry about."

"Damn it, Cassie," Matt cursed, standing quickly, sending his chair back, scraping the wood floor. "This is why I didn't want you going up there. Can't you do anything to keep your wife from butting into my love life?" Yelling at Travis, Matt moved to the sink, setting his mug into it and walking from the room without waiting for an answer to his question.