chapter 14

a/n: everly and alex i see u. u r NOT slick

her question took me by surprise.

"what do you mean?"

she raised her eyebrows. "i meeeean that sal has the biggest crush on you and it's obvious to everyone except you."

my eyebrows furrowed. "shut up. sal doesn't like me like that. we're just.. friends."

"come on y/n! there's been multiple times where you guys have ran off alone together."

"like when? the time he came to my apartment? like i said, he dropped his stuff off and played my guitar."

"yeah, that, but also at the party, and the time you, sal, and larry were outside and larry left you two to go get beer or something."

i froze. "the party?"

"todd said he saw you guys walk out the damn bathroom together. that's how he even knew to find us while we were all dancing!"

fuck. this looks so bad. what the hell todd?! "it wasn't even like that. he just wanted a break from the party and asked me to come since i was the only one with him."

her eyebrows raised and she smiled. "and why were you the only one with him, huh?"

"ashley."

"what!! these are valid questions, in my opinion."

"what about you and larry? you guys were dancing together alone too!!"

"okay, but you know that's different!"

i scoffed. "whatever. point is, me and sal aren't a thing. he doesn't like me like that."

right?

"he says your name in like, every sentence."

"so?"

"that's a sign when someone likes you!"

my brows furrowed. "how the hell is that a sign?"

she laughed nervously. "aha.. i actually don't really know, i saw it in a magazine once. but my point still stands. he talks about you a lot."

"huh?"

"mhm. even when you aren't around, it's 'y/n this' and 'y/n that.' even larry thinks so!"

my face warmed up because of ash coming at me with all this at once. "whatever."

ash giggled evilly. "you're blushing, dude! c'mon, you can tell me if you like him."

"as a friend, yeah."

she sighed with defeat and slumped back into her pillows. "fine, fine."

we continued to watch the tv, talking about meaningless things. i thought about our conversation, and my mind drifted off.

***

"hey. i'm leaving now." i knocked on my parents bedroom door gently.

mom cocked her head, sorting through dad's bottles of pills. "where you going? and with who?"

"band practice, mom. i told you guys earlier." my eyes landed on my dad's sleeping form.

"right. don't get into trouble. and you need to be back by 6:30 for dinner."

i slung my cased guitar over my shoulder and headed out the door. i took the elevator down from the penthouse and walked through the lobby and out the revolving door.

my earbuds were blasting everlong, and drowned out the sounds of new york. the city that never sleeps.

every tuesday and thursday a few hours after school ended, we paid to rent out the school auditorium for a few hours to practice. while i played my guitar, adrian played the drums, theo played the bass, and cassidy sang.