chapter 2

"you up, y/n? i need you to get the mail." mom bursts into my room, fixing her earring with her work outfit on.

"god, it's like, 9am. let me enjoy the rest of the summer while i can." i lazily rubbed my eyes.

"okay? you don't see me bumming around. i actually work. one day you won't be able to just lay down and play the guitar all the time. you need to get used to working, if you can even call getting the mail work!"

i sighed, sitting up and dangling my feet off the bed. "i'll get the mail soon."

"good. i have to go in a little bit, don't get into too much trouble." she walks out the room. her shoes clicked all the way to the kitchen. we had only been here 2 and a half weeks and mom was already pretty settled in. i didn't really get why she felt the need to get up every day to work so soon, though. i was still trying to get the feel of everything around nockfell. if i was ever bored and didn't feel like playing the guitar, i would use mom's car to drive around town and get starbucks if i had money. occasionally, i would pass sal or larry, or both and wave to them. i had talked to them a little bit and my good impression of them still hadn't been let down. soon enough, the front door slammed, breaking my train of thought and signaling mom was gone.

i got up from my bed and put my hair up. i made my way to the kitchen and made a bagel with cream cheese. i hadn't eaten one in forever, so it was pretty refreshing. i washed it down with a glass of water, slid on my ugg slippers, and grabbed the mail keys. opening the door, i walked down the hall to the elevator. i assumed that the registration for my new school came in, because of how naggy mom was.

"shit." i shoved the key into the mailbox, but the door wouldn't budge open. after jingling it around for a little bit, an unfamiliar voice coming from one of the rooms startled me.

"try turning the key to the right and pulling, that should do the trick." the voice seemed to be coming from a door with a mail slot installed in it. i furrowed my brows, and did what he said. to my embarrassment, the mailbox opened immediately. i was a little embarrassed at how i needed directions on how to open a mailbox, but i grabbed the mail inside. after, i decided to walk over to where the voice was coming from. next to the door, it had a sign selling tea for 25 cents.

"thanks for the, uh, tip. who are you?"

"terrence addison, i own the building, and i know everything that goes on within it. you are one of the new tenants on floor 3, correct?"

"hah, yeah. i just moved here from new york with my mom. i'm y/n."

"yes, yes, larry and sally told me your name, but lisa told me about your mother, marie?"

sal and larry talked about me?

"yeah." my voice trailed off, eyeing the sign.

"oh! you noticed the sign. yes, if you want a cup of tea, just say 'addison tea, please and thank you' and i will give you a cup for 25 cents. i'm not sure if tea is your thing, but most adults around here love it."

"thanks, i'll keep that in mind." i smiled at him, or his eyes, and walked away. i closed the mailbox door, only just realizing i had left it open. but, i was stopped again but the voice of larry, with sal by his side.

larry walked up to me. "hey y/n, passing through? you look a little tired."

i had just now realized how i looked. my hair was in a bun, and the residue of makeup that i forgot to take off remained under my eyes. i also had on a baggy band tee and black shorts with red stars patterned on them.

my face warmed and i laughed awkwardly. "aha, yeah. just had to get the mail real quick."

"mhm, mhm, cool. you, um, busy later? me, sal and a few others are gonna be hanging out at my place later on. you're totally welcome to join."