twenty-six

Alexa's POV

The two sat down on the opposite side of the restaurant and I looked back at the guys. "What was that about?"

"I tried to pick her up a couple months ago. Shit kinda went down. Didn't appreciate my advances."

"What kind of advances?" I asked.

"I bought her a coke and she spilled it all over me. She was dating that Soc at the time."

I felt as if there was more to the story I was missing, but I left it at that. I hope his and her problems don't interfere with us being captain and co-captain.

"Here are the checks." The lady said placing them down.

She handed us all individual checks and Dallas spoke up. "Can you actually put ours together?" He asked referencing to us.

"Yeah. Give me a second."

"Uhh... Dallas, I don't know if I can pay for yours right now. I don't really have an income right now and I'm gonna try and save..." I said awkwardly.

"On me. I invited you out."

I laughed. "Well, technically Steve did."

"Just accept the free food." Steve followed.

The waitress put our new check back and he grabbed it from between us. "Move. I'll be right back." He said shoving me out of the booth.

"Dallas-"

"Too late."

I laughed to myself and he went up and paid.

Dallas and I walked back to Bucks together. "Hey, Dal. What else is there to know about you and Cherry??"

"It was nothing. I dunno. I was just tryna get her to come back to Bucks, I guess. It never went anywhere. She got mad and we haven't really talked since."

"Oh..."

"I swear, nothing happened between us."

"It's okay if it did."

"Well, it didn't. I don't wanna-"

"Dallas, it's okay. Were you seeing anyone at the time?"

"No."

"Then I don't see a problem."

"I just don't want you to think-"

"Dal, I'm not controlling who you see or don't see. I don't really have a say in that."

We aren't together.

He can do what he wants.

The rest of the night we didn't really talk. We kinda both went right to bed.

I woke up the next morning and got ready for school. Dallas got up. "Morning, Lex."

"Hi, Dally. Goin' to school again today?" I asked with a laugh.

"I guess. Even though it's boring as hell there."

"Schools good for ya. Gets you out of the house."

"Yeah, yeah."

We walked to school and everyone was gathered by the board. Dallas and I eventually made our way up to the front and we saw all the teams posted up.

I looked at the cheer list. "Team captain!" I said in excitement. "And she has me down for a flyer."

"Good job, Alexa." He said. I high five him and we walked down the hall our separate ways.

"Hey, Alexa DeVos, right?" Some guy asked.

"Yeah."

"I'm Leo Goulding. Captain of the football team. Congrats on cheer captain."

"Oh, thank you! Congrats on football captain."

"Thanks. I knew it was comin' though. I'm the best on that team." Cocky, huh? "Let me cut to the chase. I wanna take you out. We'd be the most popular couple here. You're hot, I'm hot. Let's hang out."

"Oh! I-I'm flattered, really. But I just got here and I don't know if I'm really looking to see anybody right now. Maybe in a few weeks when I'm more adjusted?"

He looked at me blankly. "Excuse me?" He asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"Do you know who I am." People started to gather around and he started getting louder. "I'm Leo fucking Goulding. Do you know how many girls would kill to go out with me?"

"Uh..."

"Every. Single. One."

"And I said maybe later but I'm trying to adjust to a new environment."

He cut me off. "You fucking rejected me." He grabbed my shoulders and I gasped. "I don't fucking get rejected here. I know you're new, but you should've known better."

"I..."

I couldn't speak. I was terrified. He was way taller than me and had some big muscles that could knock me out in a second. He shoved me and I stumbled back.

"Man, leave her alone." Someone said.

"Fuck no. You're such an entitled prick. You think you're better than everyone 'cause you know Dallas? 'Cause you can spin around in a skirt?"

"N-No." My voice broke as I said that. I swallowed.

"That's what I fucking thought." He got up in my face. "Better fucking go back to where you belong, street rat. If I fucking see you again I'm gonna-"

He was punched in the face. I screamed and backed up into this big circle being made. Someone caught me before I stumbled. "Are you okay?" Sodapop asked.

"Y-yeah. Holy crap! Is that Dallas?" I yelled.

People were screaming and laughing as Dallas beat the shit out of him.

"Dallas!" Johnny yelled.

"Dallas, stop it!" I continued.

"Break it up!" The principal yelled. "You two. My office. Now. Everyone get to class."

"Come on, Lex. He'll be okay."

I turned around. Dallas gave him one last blow and Leo held his nose tightly.

Dallas had blood on his forehead. Jesus Christ, Dally!

We got to class and everyone was whispering around me. Oh, goodness, not again.

"Holy shit, Alexa." Some girl said. "You just got Dallas to beat up Leo for you."

"I mean, I didn't ask him to."

"He just really like you." Another girl said.

I stayed silent and looked at Steve for help. Mr. Dominick spoke up. "Seats, please. Thank you. We've got stuff to get done. Homecoming festivities."

He started talking.

I hoped Dallas was okay.

I couldn't believe he did that.

He didn't have to do that, but I was grateful. I wouldn't have been able to fight him.

Goodness, this was getting to me more than it should.

Hopefully, this won't cause any more problems in the future. I don't know how much more of this "whisper gossip" behind me I can handle.