twenty-two

Darrel's POV

I tried to find something to say. She seemed real nice. And the opposite of how Dallas described her.

I said something. "Uhh... no. No, I think we're all just confused on what you're doing here."

Her eyes widened. "Oh my, goodness! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. I got lost on my way back from the high school and I need to get back to Bucks." She put her shoes on. "I'm so sorry. I think I just made a wrong turn and I recognized this house."

"No, no, it's okay. Everyone's always welcome here. I mean like... why did you leave New York? Why are you in Oklahoma?" I asked.

"Oh." She said, slowing herself down. "Well, Dallas asked if I wanted to go. We got real close over the two weeks he was there and I hated it up there, anyway. I guess he just kinda offered it." She sighed. "I'm really sorry for intruding, again. But do one of y'all know where Buck's is...?" She asked hopefully.

Sodapop leaned out the door to point her in the direction. "Take down this road, once you hit Sutton, turn right. It'll take ya down to Redrun and it'll be on the right."

"Sutton, Redrun. Awesome! Thank you guys so much. Have a good day!"

She was about to walk out but Dallas and Johnny came around the corner. "Hi, guys!" She said walking on the porch. 

"Alexa? What are you doing here?" Dallas asked walking up to her and Sodapop.

"I got lost on the way back from the high school." She laughed. "Maybe I should have had you stay. But your friends were real helpful."

"How long have you been here?" Dallas asked glaring at us.

"Not long. Maybe a couple minutes. Had some conversation."

"About what?"

"I heard you told them about the homecoming court and how I was on it." She laughed. "I just told them we won."

"Yeah, sounds real cool. I'm surprised Dallas was on there. He hasn't been back to New York in years."

She laughed again. "I will admit, it took me by surprise. I was a little upset at first because I didn't think he was gonna show up. But he surprised me! We had fun." She looked at the clock. "Well, I better get going. I've still gotta finish unpacking. But I'll definitely see y'all around! Thanks for the directions. Bye, everyone!"

We all collectively said goodbye and the second the door closed Dallas shot us all a glare. "Yall didn't tell her anything I said, right?"

"Dal, we didn't say anything. But... you invited her down here?"

"Yeah, and what about it? She can move wherever she wants."

"That's not what he's referring to." Sodapop said. "We're asking why you would invite her to live with you when just two weeks ago all she was to you was a stuck up, entitled bitch. Which she doesn't seem like she is."

"She's not. I was wrong. There, happy? If I catch any of you saying anything to her what I said, I'm gonna knock your head it."

"Calm down, Dal." I started. "We didn't say anything. All I said was we heard some stuff about you and I asked about the homecoming court stuff you were referencing. She assumed it was about that. She doesn't know you hate her."

"I don't hate her. I hated her. Past tense. Don't get that mixed up. I'm outta here." And he slammed the door behind him.

I sighed and went back to the kitchen table. Soda spoke up. "Hey, Johnny?"

"Yeah?" He asked sitting on the couch.

"What happened in New York? Like... why does he all of a sudden not hate her?"

He sighed. "Well, I think he had a wrong impression. She really is nice. She never had bad intentions. He's just angsty and angry. Took it the wrong way. They were kinda forced to spend a lot of time together and I think he realized that he was wrong about her."

"I feel like she should know. I mean, goddamn, everything changed so suddenly for her." Ponyboy said.

"Yeah, that's what I said. I sorta implied it wasn't a good idea to bring her down here with us. She had real good friends and she seemed like she loved her life up there. But I guess she cared about Dally more than any of that other stuff."

I sighed. "It'll come out whether he likes it or not. Unfortunately for him, it always comes out."

Alexa's POV

I was able to unpack everything and get some good sleep. Despite how loud it was at some points downstairs, the bed was surprisingly comfy.

I was bored for most of the day and spent most of it in my room. Until four!

Time to go get things done with school!

Which, thank God, because I can't sit here and do nothing anymore. I'm so bored.

I walked to the school and I made it there all on my own.

People were leaving school as I was walking in. I noticed Ponyboy and another kid and I waved to him.

I walked up to the office. "Hi! I'm Alexa! I was here yesterday, I dunno if you remember me?"

"Yes, I do! We just got your transcripts in. Mrs. Roland is just working out a schedule for you right now."

"Wonderful!"

"I'll take you back there."

We walked back into the room and I sat down. "Hello, Alexa." She said.

"Hi, how are you?"

"I'm great. I just got your transcripts in and it looks like it should be an easy switch for you."

"That's amazing news. Thank you."

"Of course. Here's a copy of your schedule and I'm gonna go ahead and walk you to where all of your classes are."

We walked the school and I got to know the areas a bit better. I was so excited!

"And that's it for the tour. When are you gonna be ready to start?"

"As soon as possible."

"Alright. We'll see you Monday then. Good luck, Alexa."

"Thanks so much! I look forward to it."