SS: Warmth

im getting cancer writing next chapter so you get this thing

~

Kushida and I walk into my room, and she softly shuts the door behind me. A blank expression adorns her face, like an in-between of her two sides, as this is not one of her venting sessions, but something else.

"When you said you wanted my mask, I wasn't exactly expecting this..." She doesn't particularly look displeased, but I can't tell what she's thinking.

"What else could you expect?"

"Well... eto... I guess you have a point." I sit down on the bed, and she sits to my left, like usual, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Teaching you facial expressions... how do we even start...?"

"A smile would be preferable."

"A smile... Wait, you can't smile?!" Shocked, for whatever reason, she quickly sits up straight and looks at me, somewhat forcing eye contact.

"Surely, you've noticed."

"No, well, I've never seen you smile, but I never thought... sorry." She quickly turns apologetic.

"Don't worry. You didn't mean anything by it." I use my left arm to return Kushida to my shoulder. I attempt to sound comforting, using a more breathy, quiet voice, but I can't do much about my one tone of voice.

She hugs me, and stays in this position for a while. She likely remembered me being evasive about my past, and assumed it is a sensitive topic. Eventually, she lets go. For some reason, I felt slightly worse when she did. Perhaps it is because of the decrease in bodily warmth that occured upon her leaving direct contact with me. Warmth can make people feel safe, and secure, however I can only imagine why. Warmth can be associated with light, how the dark is cold and scary to some, and how a warmly lit room seems inviting and comfortable. It can also be due to-

"So... learning to smile..." She interrupted my monologue. "I'm not sure where to start..."

"I encountered the same issue."

"You've tried, right?"

"I didn't get anywhere."

"Eh..." Kushida puts on a pondering face. This is temporary, however, as she proceeds to show a sly grin. Her eyes shine a glint of mischief, and she turns to me."

"Close your eyes for a second, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Somehow I get the vibe that that's a bad idea"

"Just do it." Well, fine. I close my eyes. Shortly after, I feel Kushida's soft hands on my cheeks. Before I can question her, she lightly pinches and pulls the edges of my lips upwards. I look at her.

"Wha awr you-" She suddenly bursts into laughter, hands leaving my face as she clutches her sides. There it is again.

"Pfft- Ahahahaha...!"

"Kushida..."

"Hahaa... Gomen, Ayano- hahaha...!!" Sigh. I'll give her a minute.

~

"Hah... hah..."

"Are you done?"

"Yes, I think." She looks back towards me.

...

"Pff-"

~

"Hah... Gomen, gomen, Ayanokouji-kun! It's just... your face...!"