1 | Reality Sets In

Start from the beginning

"You need to start sleeping earlier, man. That's why mornings always make you such a pussy," Nick taunts, a mischievous glint in his eyes. He swiftly yanks the blankets off me, leaving me curled up in a shivering ball. I respond with a series of mumbled curses and tired groans, my annoyance growing with each passing second.

Defeated by Nick's boisterous antics, I finally muster the energy to sit up, though my grogginess still lingers

"Just five more minutes wouldn't hurt," I grumble, rubbing the remnants of sleep from my tired eyes while emitting an annoyed groan.

"Don't be such a sissy, time is precious. It's not my fault you stayed up too late, man," Nick mocks, his eyes scanning my messy room.

"I had to work overtime for a promotion, you brat," I murmur irritably, my frustration evident in my voice.

Distracted, Nick glances around and snidely remarks, "Bro, is this how a responsible adult lives?"

I can't help but let out a sarcastic laugh. "Like you know everything, kid?"

A smirk forms on Nick's face. "At least my room isn't a sty, and I have my life headed somewhere."

His words hit a nerve, and I immediately pout, bitter at the fact that Nick is right. The morning has already been dreadful with the lack of sleep, and now I have to confront the hard truths I've been avoiding.

Unlike Nick, I don't have a clear direction in my life. My sole purpose is to provide for our family. As the eldest, it falls upon me to shoulder the responsibility of ensuring our well-being. In doing so, I've had to sacrifice many dreams and neglect my own personal growth. But lately, the strain has left me feeling aimless and trapped.

My dead-end job offers no opportunities for advancement, no matter how much overtime I put in. 

The first year brought me a sense of security—fresh out of college, I quickly landed a job and even received a couple of promotions and bonuses. However, since then, my efforts have gone unnoticed. All I seem to do is juggle finances, neglecting my own aspirations and desires. A heavy sigh escapes my lips as my thoughts continue to swirl. The past five years of relentless overtime and hustling have barely yielded any progress. 

Almost every paycheck goes towards supporting my mom, dad, and saving for Nick's impending college tuition. The future feels uncertain, and the financial burdens loom large.

The weight of responsibility bears down on me, leaving my room in disarray and my own needs neglected. I am constantly focused on providing for my family—my parents' livelihoods and Nick's education depend solely on my efforts. I know that if I want to ease their burdens, I must continue to toil tirelessly.

Nick sighs, observing my vacant stare, and offers a gentle suggestion, "Bro, maybe we can clean up in here next weekend if you take a day off."

I remain silent and motionless, lost in contemplation. Since Nick's 18th birthday last month, he has been staying at my place, preparing to go to college and embark on his own journey towards independence. By then he knows I never take a single day off.