Dream Stalker

I was dreaming about Dimitri and all the wonderful ways he made my body feel like it was on fire when my dream shifted. Dimitri was gone, and I was standing in a familiar garden. I looked around, trying to figure out why the garden felt so familiar when my eyes landed on a guy standing against a tree. He was blond and has familiar green eyes, yet like the garden, I couldn't figure out why they were so familiar.

"Little dhampir," he said. I realized then that I must have known him.

"I'm sorry, I..I'm not sure I remember you."

He seemed confused. He was studying me, causing me to fidget. I wanted to say something, but my words didn't work.

"You really don't remember?"

"No. I didn't even know my name when I woke up a few days ago. My memory is coming back though, a little at a time."

"That's good, I guess. Who or what do you remember so far?"

"I know that Lissa is my best friend, I'm married to Dimitri, we have twins together, I know who my mom and dad are, and I remember what happened to Mason in Spokane." My voice dropped to a whisper at the last part.

"Spokane? Does that mean you remember the ski lodge?"

I thought for a minute, hoping that a memory would spark at the mention of a specific place. Nothing happened. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"No, I don't. What happened at the ski lodge?"

"Oh, Rose. That's where we met."

"Uhm. Okay? That doesn't really help considering that I still don't remember you."

He abruptly changed the subject. "What triggers your memories?"

"I don't know exactly. Sometimes it's a touch or a feeling. I guess it could be anything, really."

He pulled a box out of his pocket and opened it. To my surprise, it was a pack of cigarettes. He pulled one out and lit it. As soon as I smelled the cloves, I was hit with an onslaught of memories. It wasn't just one memory this time, it was like watching a movie of memories that tied to just one person in my life: Adrian.

The first memory was the night we met at the ski lodge. I smelled the cloves from his cigarettes and the alcohol on his breath, but I was intrigued. Mia walked up and we exchanged words.

The next memory was of the box of perfumes he sent me. I returned them to his room to find Lissa there. Then, Dimitri showed up. I was upset with Dimitri, but I didn't understand why. Then a name came to mind: Tasha. Before I had time to process anything else, another memory presented itself.

Adrian staying at the academy to study spirit with Lissa. He liked me, but I was hung up on Dimitri so the feeling wasn't mutual.

Another memory intruded; I was asking Adrian for money. I was leaving the academy. I couldn't remember why. I promised him a fair chance if I came back.

The memories kept coming, and nothing seemed to be able to stop them. Adrian asking me out, me accepting. He stopped smoking and cut down on his drinking. Moving to court with Lissa, continuing to date Adrian. Almost sleeping with him; letting him drink from me instead. He loved me, but I broke his heart. I cheated on him with Dimitri. He should have hated me, but he didn't. Eventually falling into easy friendship because he finally found someone to make him happy. He congratulated me at my wedding.

Eventually, the memories subsided and I was back in the garden with Adrian. He had put out his cigarette, and had walked closer to me.

"Adrian.."