Chapter Eighteen

Quick author's note: This story is almost over :') It's been real Ella. You're quite literally the most chaotic female character I've ever written, yet the most relatable as well. 

Ella stood there, towel still draped around her shoulders, a mixture of shock and realization washing over her. Connor's words hung in the air, and she couldn't shake the feeling that she'd missed something, or perhaps, misunderstood the nature of their interactions.

"We've been talking?" she repeated a second time, her voice wavering with uncertainty.

"Very funny, Tucker. If you keep repeating it like that I'll begin to think you didn't know this whole time."

Well, that's because Ella didn't know.

Caught off guard, Ella fumbled for words. "I... I didn't realize you saw it that way."

Connor's brows furrowed. "What way? Am I missing something here?"

In that moment, Ella felt a flurry of emotions—confusion, surprise, and a twinge of embarrassment for not picking up on the cues. As the weight of Connor's words settled, a realization dawned upon her—maybe they really had been talking.

"I just... I didn't think we were... you know, official or anything."

Connor's gaze softened. "I didn't say we were official. I just thought we were heading in that direction. I mean, I like you, Ella."

The simplicity of his admission caught her off guard.

"Oh," she said, dumbfounded. "I–I like you too?"

Connor's lips curved into a warm smile. "Are you confessing to me or asking me a question?"

Ella felt a flush creeping up her cheeks. She was caught in a moment she hadn't anticipated, and the pressure of the situation lingered between them.

"I mean, I really like spending time with you, and I guess... I never really thought about what it meant."

Connor chuckled, a sound that seemed to ease the tension in the air. "Hey, it's okay. We can figure it out together, right?"

"Right," Ella said nodding, her wet hair flying in front of her face. "Wait, so does this mean we're like...dating?"

Connor laughed, a warm laughter that sent tingles down her spine. "No."

"What? We're not?"

"No, because I haven't asked you out yet." He grabbed her free hand that wasn't clutching her phone. "Ella Tucker would you do me the honor of going out wit—"

"The fuck is going on here?" Ella whipped around causing Connor to promptly drop her hand.

Katie stood by the end of the corridor holding a pile of clothes and what looked to be Ella's hair dryer.

Wow, leave it to Katie to suddenly feel like bringing her hair dryer to the bathroom the one time Ella wasn't dying for it.

"Warn someone next time, will you?" Connor said mildly perturbed at the interruption. Despite this, his giddy smile never fell from his face.

"I did warn you, I said "The fuck is going on here" so I wouldn't have to watch you two start making out in front of the Women's bathroom." She sauntered over to Ella, handing her the hair dryer. "This is a public place, you know?"

Katie," Ella hissed. "We weren't going to make out."

"You can never be too sure with you." Her roommate said, shrugging.

"Oh my god," she groaned. "Give it a rest. I was...I was caught in the heat of the moment."

Both of them stared at her blankly.

"Right," Katie said, glancing over at Connor who was trying (and failing) to hide his grin. "Well, I'm about to take a shower. Why don't you finish your conversation somewhere private. Preferably somewhere with a bed." She paused. "Not our room though, please. Sorry, I actually plan on sleeping there tonight."

Ella watched, flabbergasted, as Katie strolled into the bathroom.

"We don't plan on doing that!"

"Ever?" Katie called back.

"What? I mean—" she glanced over at Connor who appeared a little too interested in her answer. "Maybe one day, just not today."

"Prude."

"Alright," Connor said, clapping his hands together. "Want to head to my place?"

"What?"

Don't get her wrong. Connor was attractive and after tonight would (probably) become her boyfriend (of sorts?) but she definitely was not ready to sleep with him yet.

Although...

"Not to do that," Connor stressed. "Just to talk, like continue our conversation."

"Oh," That made sense. Of course, Connor wasn't dying to get in her pants. "Sure. Lead the way."

He reached for her hand, gently intertwining their fingers together. Connor's touch was warm and reassuring as he led Ella upstairs to his dorm room. The quiet hum of the building enveloped them, creating a sense of intimacy. Like it was just the two of them, no one else.

Reaching Connor's door, he unlocked it and ushered her inside. The room was cozy, with a desk scattered with books, two neatly made beds, and the faint aroma of coffee lingering in the air.

Connor gestured towards the chair at his desk. "Have a seat. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Water would be great," she replied.

He opened the mini fridge that was perched in the corner of the room. His layout was similar to hers, except the beds were facing the opposite direction.

"Here you go," He handed her the water, settling on the bed across from her. "So, where were we?"

Ella hesitated for a moment, glancing around the room. "We were... figuring things out?" she replied, perching on the chair.

"Ah," he smiled. "Right." He reached for her hand, once again. "Ella Tucker, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"