Chapter 11

"Right this way." Ralph announced with a low think British accent, pointing down the hall. Eiran, Lola and Felix followed cautiously behind him.

The walked for a bit until Ralph stopped and turned to Eiran. "Yu'r room. The biggest room aside from the Cap'in's o'course. Want'd to make sure you was comfor'ble." He explained, opening the door. Eiran stepped in behind him.

He couldn't help but look in awe. He knew this ship was big but this room was bigger than his kitchen back home. Though, that wasn't much to compete with so what did he know?

The bed on the far left was easily a king sized bed with a canopy over top of it. There was a fireplace at the end of the room with two arm chairs and a small sofa surrounding the fireplace. Finally, there was a desk on the far right of the room, which was next to a closet and a small bathroom.

"Well, I'm sure you've been in bigger rooms than this but this was the best we could do under such short cer'umstan'es. We 'ope you understand." He said quickly.

Eiran turned to him and just shook his head. He had never been in a room this big in his whole life. Who cared if he was born with a few extra powers? He wasn't anything that special. He definitely didn't ever think he deserved anything like this.

Ralph looked shocked but decided to drop the topic as he just said, "Well, I 'ope the room is to your like'in." Then walked off with Lola and Felix.

Eiran, being alone in a huge room, didn't know what to do with himself after he unpacked. He decided he wanted to try and be of some help so he made his way to the deck of the ship.

He passed a few crew members working, asking if he could help but he got the same answer every time. "I couldn't ask you to do that." Or "Oh no, you just don't worry about it. Your roo important to be doing our work." It was honestly getting quite annoying.

He spotted Captain Josephine leaning on the railing of the ship, looking over the ocean. "Can I ask you something?" He asked, walking up behind her. "You just did. But yes, sure. Go ahead." She answered, not looking at him.

" Why do they all treat me differently? Telling me I'm 'too important' or treating me like I'm royalty or something? I'm a nobody. Lola should be getting this treatment. Not me." He questioned, leaning on the railing next to her.

Captain Josephine stayed silent for a moment, still not looking at Eiran, but to the ocean. " Do you know who the last Shadow was?" She asked now. This stumped Eiran. He assumed there was just the one Annalise talked about and him.

"The man who was against nomadges?" Eiran guessed. She shook her head, looking to the floor. "Her name was Raellyn. She was one of the most beautiful, strong, caring, and compassionate people I've ever met." She stated, eyes shining with tears.

"Met? You knew her?" He asked. He thought the last Shadow existed a few hundred years ago. "The Shadow is a position that is passed from person to person. The Shadows of the past few hundred years just lived their lives like normal. There was no point in telling the world who they were. Some forgot about the Shadow, others didn't. But everyone moved on." She replied calmly.

"Raellyn was no different. She passed the same day you were born. That's how it works. If I had just kept her alive a little longer, you wouldn't be the one I am talking to right now. She was the light of my life. She made everything worthwhile. I loved her. I never got to say those things to her when she was alive but I would like you to pass on the message for me." She finally looked at Eiran. Her tough, mean demeanor was gone. She looked so innocent and loving but she also looked broken and sad. Eiran hoped he never had to go through what she did.

"How do I do that? Pass on the message?" He asked. She looked at him for a moment then said, "You just did. She and every other Shadow exists inside of you. Your souls are bound together. They always will be. What you know, they know. Just you internalizing what I told you is sending the message to her." She explained.

"Whenever you feel lost or out of hope, they are there to guide you. They always will be. They are like your inner continuous. And for your first question, they treat you like you are important because you are just that. Without you Felix, Lola, me. We wouldn't be doing what we are right now. You are what is going to make taking the president down possible." She didn't wait for him to respond this time, but she turned and walked away.

He didn't realize in the moment, but he had been following these people, the Shadows his whole life. The feeling of comfort and trust that he got from Captain Josephine, that was Raellyn. The instinct to escape the prison or the slight feeling of untrust with Felix's sister, that was the Shadow who hated nomadges. This whole time, his whole life, they were there.

This made him wonder, who else is there guiding my every decision? Who were the other Shadows? Would he ever know?

Right now, he didn't worry about that. The only thoughts in his head in this moment were what Captain Josephine said about Lola and Felix. Was he putting them in danger being here with them? What if something happened to them?

"Eiran!" He heard a familiar voice coming from behind him. Standing in the lower deck behind him was Felix along with Lola. Eiran only knew one thing for sure right now. He was so glad he had these people here with him. He knew he could count on them, and that was comforting to him.