Chapter 5

They finished packing everything into the wagon and they all got on, Felix having to direct Lola to his house. When they finally reached the house, Eiran was amazed. It was a small, quaint house, but it was still very beautiful.

The small house was coming out of an old oak tree, looking as if it had grown around it. Green vines were creeping up the edges of the house with small white flowers blooming from them. The house was mainly made of wood and it had a walk way leading to the door that was surrounded in a small garden.

The front door swung open and out emerged an older man and a young, but teenage girl. They both shared Felix's dirty blond hair but these two shared muted blue eyes instead of the beautiful gray color of Felix's. Felix quickly ran to them and embraced them in a tight hug. 

"Where did you go!? We thought you got caught!"The girl scolded him, slapping his arm. He slightly winced then went on to explain himself. "I knew the soil was becoming infertile so I went out to find something."He spoke quickly. "What? What were you trying to find out there!?"She yelled, motioning to the woods.

He looked back at Eiran and Lola, as if looking for an answer that they couldn't give him. "I don't know what I was looking for but I found these lovely people who are willing to help us if we help them. That sound okay, officer 'You can't do anything.'?"He laughed this time when she hit his arm a little lighter.

The man, who hadn't talked before this point turned to Eiran and Lola. He didn't say anything but he made various hand movements. "He asks why you are here."Felix explained, turning to them. "Oh, well...um... we are here to help with your infertile soil and possibly get somewhere to stay."Eiran stepped closer to the man.

"Oh, he can't hear you. He's deaf. He communicates using hand signs and we translate for him."The girl explained. Felix faced his father and made some signs then the man faced Eiran. Eiran didn't quite know what to do when he walked up to him though,

He expected him to strike him, but instead he hugged him. "What-what did you tell him?"Lola asked. "I told him you two are going to change the world for us nomadges. For everyone."He said proudly. Eiran just hugged him back, cautiously, but he did hug back.

When he pulled away from Eiran, the man gave a smirk to Felix and made a few signs with his hands. Eiran didn't understand but something he had said made Felix blush and scream, "Papa!"In a hushed voice, still signing.

"What did he just say?"Eiran asked, clearly confused. "Oh nothing, 'Pretty Boy'."The girl smirked at him and walked over to Lola. 

Felix rubbed his eyes then signed to his father and asked, "Are you done?" His father didn't bother with his hands but instead just shook his head to say no. Felix let out a loud sign then faced back towards Eiran and Lola. "Lola, will you be able to figure out the soil situation?"He asked, interrupting her giggling with the girl.

"Oh, ya I'll get this figured out in no time. Hey Eiran, come meet Annalise!"She shouted from the front of the carriage. "O-Okay."Eiran smiled at Felix and his dad before heading to Lola. Something was lingering in the air but Eiran couldn't quite put his finger on it. He knew one thing for sure though, it was some very awkward tension.

He reached the two girls who were smiling and laughing at something Lola said. "Eiran, this is Annalise."She said, motioning to Felix's sister.

"Nice to meet you Annalise. Can I ask you something?"Eiran said, looking at her. "You just did. But I guess you can have one more."She said sarcastically, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Eiran didn't laugh but instead just stood there and waited for the two to stop laughing. "What did your dad say that made Felix so flustered?"He asked. Annalise's face fell for a second then she smiled. "Oh, about that.... I don't think that's my place. When he wants to, Felix will let you know."She didn't look at Eiran when saying this.

"Oh, okay..."He answered, turning to the back of the wagon. "Where are you going?"Lola asked. "I'm going to unload the wagon. We're going to be here for a bit aren't we?"He said, turning to walk backwards as he spoke.

Eventually, Lola and Felix helped to move stuff inside the house and they set their beds up. They ended up eating dinner and talking for a while. Lola and Annalise had both seemed so cautious of strangers but they both got along so well so quickly.

Eiran was struggling to learn bits of sign from Felix so he could finally understand what the three of them were saying when they talked, but it was pointless. Eiran couldn't remember one sign from the next.

He eventually quit for the night and decided to just let Annalise and Felix translate for him for now. "It's okay Eiran. We were taught to sign from a young age so we just retained it quicker. You'll learn eventually."Felix told him.

"Yeah, you're right."Eiran reached for his glass of water and ended up tipping it over. "Oh I'll get it."He said, pulling the water from the cloth with magic and evaporating it with steam. He didn't realize what he was doing until it was done. 

Annalise and her dad stared in awe. "Eiran, what powers did you say you had again?"Annalise questioned, looking at him terrified. "A-all of them." Eiran whispered just loud enough to hear.

"You're the...Sh-Shadow?"Annalise looked at Eiran, that same expression on her face. "Why does everyone keep saying that!? What is the Shadow?"He asked, not noticing Lola rubbing her temples or Felix's dad trying to sign at his daughter.

"Eiran. I should have just told you this back in the woods but you are the Shadow. I have no doubt."She said, seriously. "Wait, what is that?"Felix asked, looking equally as confused as Eiran. That gave him a sense on comfort, not being the only one who had no idea what was happening.

"The Shadow is a god-like being who has every elemental power known to man. To magic users, he is a savior. To nomadges, he is the devil himself. The tale of the Shadow is one of the reasons people hate us so much. It's like God to some people and long ago the Shadow supposedly said that all nomadge were scum and had no reason to live."Annalise shouted across the table, fists clenched.

"Well, some say it is passed down and that user of the Shadow was just an awful person."Lola stated, trying to reason with Annalise. "It doesn't matter much does it? That doesn't change how we are treated."She sneered and stormed off angrily.

"I had no idea..."Eiran said under his breath. "No you didn't. So it's not your fault."Felix spoke, giving Eiran a comforting smile. "Thank you."He responded sadly.