4- One Step Forward,Two Steps Back.

Start from the beginning

Neelu- "Baby aap khana kha lijiye. Agar Arjun sir aa gaye toh woh gussa karenge."

Arni muttered- "Wahi toh mai chahti hu."

Neelu confused- "Kya?"

Arni shook her head- "Kuch nahi Neelu di. Aap khake so jao. Papa ko Mai khana serve kar dungi aur unhi ke saath kha bhi lungi. Aap jao."

Neelu shook her head. Arjun worked at odd hours. There were instances when he had not come to the house for an entire night. She can't let Arnika wait for him all night. Especially when she was under strict instructions that Arnika had to be in bed by 10:30 almost.

Neelu- "Nahi Arni baby. Time dekho aap. Aapka bedtime bas aadhe ghante me hai. Aapke papa ne aapko jaagte hue dekha toh aapko saza milegi aur mujhe daant."

Arni- "Mai unko handle kar lungi, Neelu di. Maine kaha na aap jao."

Arnika convinced her after a few more sugary talks and soulful looks and successfully sent her off. As a few minutes passed, she settled herself comfortably on the couch. She looked at the clock. 10:45. Perfect!Minutes turned into hour and hour turned into hours. She had fallen asleep waiting for Arjun's arrival.

When Arjun entered the house at 1, he was greeted by this scene. His eyes misted as memories came rushing through the memory lane.

7 years back:

Arjun came in the house at 3 only to be greeted by Roshni lying on the couch with a 2 year old and a comforter on top of her. He frowned. He had already informed her that he'll be late that day but his stubborn wife would just not stop waiting for him. He walked towards them and looked over fondly. He had gotten what he desired in his life. His girls were an open testimony of that.

His girls were also deep sleepers,so unlike him. He carefully picked up Arni cradled her close to his chest. He always found an unknown solace when he held her close to his chest. Just like his Roshni. 

Roshni's deep slumber broke when she felt someone snatching her little princess from her. She sat up grumpily and looked at Arjun, irritated.

Roshni-"Time dekha aapne? Itna late!"

Arjun laughed at her expressions. "Maine kaha tha na aaj late hoga, Rosh. Riots city outskirts Tak pahuch chuke the. Usi ko control karne me late hogaya."

Roshni sighed and nodded. She knew her husband had a difficult job and he was definitely not the type of person to compromise on his job. She smiled at him.

Roshni- "Ye bhi sahi hai. Aap waha riots control kare aur main aapki laadli ko control Karu."

Arjun frowned- "Matlab?"

Roshni- "Shaam se papa papa ki ratt lagayi baithi hai. Thaka Diya iss badmaash ne mujhe." 

Arjun- "Really? That's like my girl." 

He patted her lightly making Roshni glare at him. Arjun laughed at her. Roshni could clearly see the tiredness in his eyes.

Roshni- "Isse bed pe sula dijiye. Mai dinner garam karti hu."

Arjun- "Rehne do Rosh. Mai--"

Roshni- "Shh...Jaiye Mr. Rawte. Yeh wala card mere saamne nahi chalega. Jab Tak Mai hu na, aap Bina khana khaye kabhi bhi nahi soyenge."

Roshni's words echoed in his ears. They were so true. He had never slept a night without eating. She always made sure that he ate even when he practically couldn't keep his eyes open due to tiredness. He hated that with a passion back then and now he missed it with a passion.