forty three, nonsense

Start from the beginning

"I can't be that good at what?" He asked, suddenly appearing from his room and making his way toward the table.

"Nothing," The girls said in unison, as he leant down to kiss Jane on the forehead.

"You two confuse me. I'll see you later," he explained, making his way towards the door. "Bye max! Bye Tonya! Bye Enid!" he waited to hear them yell from beyond the kitchen, and only when they shouted back did he close the door and depart from the trailer. He would soon be on his way back to Alexandria with Michonne, and Rick and Jane had agreed to meet them there later.

"Where were you two yesterday, anyway?" Ellie asked sincerely, stirring her tea with a dessert spoon before sipping it gradually.

"The lake. We just actually hung out, which was nice." she wasn't sure why she neglected to mention the glass incident. She normally told Ellie these things, but the moment between them yesterday seemed so....private.

"You should like, go into tea business or something. This shit's incredible." Jane complimented, whilst also trying to change the subject.

"It's not that good, you just haven't had tea in a while." this comment makes her think back to the last time she did drink some, and finds that it was that really terrible batch carl made. Right after the lineup.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Suddenly she doesn't want to drink it anymore.

"Hey, didn't you make one for me?" Enid asks as she sits herself down at the table, looking ten times more sleepy than Jane ever had.

"Of course I did, how else would you wake up?" Ellie mocks, and Enid rolls her eyes playfully.

"Jane please stay another night, I can't take this abuse any longerrr," Enid pleads jokingly.

"ha ha." Ellie says sarcastically, handing the girl her mug from the kitchen counter.

The day following was filled to the brim with back-and-forths. Rick Grimes had offered to take her back to Alexandria for a couple hours, as that's where he was going anyway, and Carl and Michonne had already left to get there. He drove a large truck packed with building supplies and crop samples from hilltop, with Jane sitting contently in the passengers seat. The thing the girl was most excited to do was to reunite with Judy - The kid had grown significantly in the past few months, and she was talking full sentences now. She was so cute, and she always got so excited to see Jane, it made her day instantly better.

"It's so goddamn bright today," Rick sighed, wiping sweat from his forehead and looking at the road ahead.

"Tell me about it. Almost fell over trying to tie my shoelaces, I couldn't see."

The man chuckled.

"How far out is the camp from Alexandria?" She asked him, following his eyes to the middle of the road.

"It's about halfway between Alexandria and hilltop. You'll see it tomorrow. We've made some nice progress."

"I expect nothing less of you," she announced, fixing the cuffs of the jacket that had once been his.

"It suits you," he chimed, noticing her fiddling with the fabric. The fur fell around her shoulders almost gracefully, yet not quite at the same time. She loved it, and maybe not just because it was his, but because it had now become her very own instead of shaping into something she'd only worn because she had to. It's very material felt meaningful from the moment she picked it up - the day after she arrived at Alexandria.

"Thank you, for giving it to me."

"You deserve a whole lot more than a Jacket, kid." he told her, as she examined Alexandria's now in-view walls. They were just the same as they had been a week ago, before she left to stay at hilltop for a few nights with Rick and Carl.