XLIX. The Gates of Alexandria

Start from the beginning

The RV grinds to a halt and the frustrated thump of Abraham's hands on the steering wheel reverberates through the vehicle. With a collective sigh, the group begins to disembark, following Abraham's lead, leaving Daryl and Madeleine seated, tending to Judith.

The little bundle of joy reaches out eagerly for Madeleine, her tiny hands seeking comfort and warmth. Madeleine swiftly lifts her onto her lap, engaging the baby with playful antics, drawing forth delightful giggles from the child. Daryl's face softens into a radiant smile, witnessing the heartwarming interaction, prompting him to wrap a protective arm around Madeleine.

"You're scared, aren't you?" Madeleine's voice carries a note of concern as she locks eyes with Daryl, probing gently into his emotions. "No one can trap you anywhere anymore, Daryl, and I'll be there with you. Until the end and after."

"Mhmm," Daryl responds softly, his gaze reflecting a mixture of emotions.

The reassurance in Madeleine's words stirs something within him, the weight of her promise settling deep within his heart. "You won't ever be alone," Madeleine gently lifts Daryl's chin, directing his gaze toward her.

Daryl nods in response, his expression solemn yet resolute. "I know. Neither will you."

Their intimate moment is interrupted by the distant cheers that signal the successful repair of the RV. Marie leads the way, stepping inside the vehicle, only to catch the unspoken exchange between Madeleine and Daryl. "Hey, guys, RV is fixed," she announces, sensing an undercurrent between them. "You two okay?" Madeleine affirms with a nod, concern evident in her eyes as she shifts her attention to her sister. "I'm hopeful about this place."

"You wouldn't be you without being positive about everything," she playfully tease, earning a sarcastic roll of the eyes from her sister.

"You love it!" Her attention then shifts to Daryl, sensing his unspoken emotions. "You alright?"

"Mhmm."

Marie rolls her eyes in annoyance. "Use your words, you're not five years old."

Madeleine, unable to hold back, mutters under her breath, "He sure acts like it sometimes."

"Stop," Daryl playfully snaps back as their laughter fills the air, his eyes lifting to meet Marie's. "I'm fine, Marie."

"Good. I'm glad. About those times... nothing against you, you know that, right?" Marie looks at Daryl with a softness in her gaze, her concern evident in her words. She pauses, then continues, "So here's another one. She deserves better. You not pushing her away type of better, 'cause you'll deal with me and Carl and Glenn and Michonne and-."

"We get it, Esperanza," Madeleine interjects with a slight roll of her eyes.

Daryl nods his head. "I won't."

The rest of the group converges inside the RV, their presence creating a bustling atmosphere within the confined space, while Madeleine's gaze remains fixed on the man, a soft smile playing on her lips. Amidst the commotion, the couple shares a private moment, seemingly oblivious to the world around them, their focus solely on each other, disregarding the movement of the RV.

The convoy travels for an hour or two before both vehicles come to a stop, aligning in front of the formidable gates of Alexandria. Peering through the windows, the group inspects their prospective new home, taking in the sights and sounds that signal the potential sanctuary beyond the walls. The distant sounds of children playing and laughing drift towards them, evoking a sense of relief and hope that washes over each member of the group.

As they disembark from the vehicles, Daryl places a reassuring hand on Madeleine's shoulder while she carries Judith in her arms. Standing in front of the gate for a few poignant moments, a sense of anticipation lingers in the air as Judith fusses in her arms.