Chapter 24 - Secret Shafts

Back into the depths of the factory, Emily entered, confused as to why he would suddenly abandon her like that. For a moment, Karl had been right beside her when the Duke brought company injured. The next moment, he was gone. But where else would he go, certainly not beyond his own property, therefore, he was somewhere in the factory she knew him well enough by now. What was it that the Duke had said? Karl never left his factory. He had gone silent on the surveillance. The garage doors shut behind her, cloaking her in near darkness. If he had been watching, any moment she would have heard his voice on the speakers calling her to find him.

She took a few deep breaths and walked up the nearby stairs to the bedroom. It was empty and the spring sun shone through the window. Don't be ridiculous, the Duke clearly acts as if I know Karl by now, he wouldn't go here would he, she thought as she went back down the stairs and went straight for the elevator into the bowels once again. As she descended, It was like her first day here again, only this time she was alone. How long had she been here? By now, with all the running around that she had done, she would have known this place inside out, only this time she wasn't scurrying in fear of the man who ran this place, nor of herself. She was going to find him, one way or another.

I love him, whatever this is, if this is a test, I'm going to pass it, she thought she made her way to the Foundry first. A gut feeling inside her told her to go there. It was the one place she felt was the heart of the factory where they had always come back to, where she alone always came back to. As she was met with the warm orange glow, she tried not to panic.

"Karl, I wish you could hear me right now, I don't know what you're doing but I need you right now," she said aloud and felt the lightning stir inside her. I've seen the way he looks at you, go on, those were the Duke's words to her. Why didn't I just tell him how I felt when I had the chance? Now he's.....I don't know what the hell he's doing! She broke into a run down the nearest staircase and arrived at an antechamber with several generators. A few Soldats were seen stumbling around as she came to an abrupt halt.

"Karl, this isn't funny!" she shouted, then she ran again down the corridor and found herself in a familiar open room. It was the same place she had learned to control the Soldats. She dropped to her knees confused and frustrated and took some more deep breaths to keep the lightning at bay. I will find him, whatever game he's playing, it's not like he's mad at me or anything right?

Just then she heard some thumping and looked up to see a single Soldat Jet approach her. The drills on its arms lowered.

"What do you want?" she asked,

The Soldat stood still, looking at her, if it had eyes, that is, and then it raised its left arm toward one of the generators. Emily turned and looked to see that written on it in yellow paint was:

"Wrong way, buttercup, go this way instead, with a metal arrow made from scraps pointing in the indicated direction,"

Emily stood, Karl was definitely playing a game with her, his intentions unclear to her but she sighed and followed the arrow down a different path. Somehow it's like he knew she would come back to this room if she couldn't find him. No matter what their relationship was, he always seemed to be one step ahead of her. As she approached another corner, there was a sign made of several scraps with another yellow metal arrow made of pieces of an old transmission tower. In the same coloured paint, it said:

"This way,"

Emily continued to follow the corridor containing the dangling wires, dim red lights, allowing the factory's ambience to calm her. I just want to find him and tell him how I feel. He's all I've got in this world, she thought, her heart beating steadily as she followed the next sign prompting her to make another right turn.